News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

kicking the pacific around again

Started by RGW, April 24, 2014, 07:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

With the news that MP is now gone with the only US pacific,would it not be a good time for Bachman to release one.Yes I know this has been discussed before many,many times 

Desertdweller

Yes, it would be the right time.

For modelers who run steam, the Pacific is a standard model used by most railroads.  And MP's Pacific was a standard USRA design used by many railroads.  Even railroads that had their own designs used USRA designs to fill out their locomotive rosters.

When I got started in N scale, MP marketed locomotives produced by Minitrix.  These were German-made trains at a time when German-made trains were the best on the market.  And they had a Pacific back then, a PRR K4.

MP's competitors were Bachmann and Life-Like.  Minitrix products wound  up being marketed by someone else.

Model Power's offerings wound down toward the end, but their USRA steam locomotives were of good quality.  I have their USRA Pacific (CB&Q).  It looks a little different from a typical CB&Q Pacific, but could be altered if I cared to.  I do not regularly run steam anyway.

I think it hurts the hobby when entry-level products leave the market.  If beginners can buy low-priced, basic products that run well, it will encourage them to get into the more sophisticated products.  For this reason, I think it is important for Bachmann to continue to offer good-quality starter sets.  The manufacturers of these sets seems to have come down to Bachmann and Life-Like.
The future of the hobby could well come down to these manufacturers doing a good job.

Les

brokemoto

The departure of MP leaves B-mann as the only mass producer of small to average sized N scale steam.   Yes, Atlas has a nineteenth century eight wheeler, and it is a pretty good one.  Still, the diseasels are Atlas' thing.  Athearn does have the old N scale MDC line, but those are only two types and Athearn has stated specifically that it has no plans to expand the old MDC line.  Athearn did issue USRA light pacifics and mikados in HO, but they did not sell well, to hear many people tell it.  Broadway Limited, or whatever their name in N scale has done average sized steam in HO, but most of their N scale stuff has been vapourware.

I would like to see USRA light pacifics and mikados from Bachpersonn.  Their latest N scale steam offerings have been excellent (DISCLOSURE:  I am a B&O modeller.  B&O ran 100 USRA light 2-8-2s, 30 USRA light 4-6-2s and twenty copies of the USRA light 4-6-2 (but with Vanderbilt tenders).  I would not mind seeing a B&O Q-4, either (that was a heavy 2-8-2;  not a USRA copy, and had sixty four inch drivers)  A USRA heavy pacific would be allright, as well.  Only Erie had originals; they also had copies.  B&O and Southern had USRA heavy copies, as well.

dtpowell

That's very sad news. I'm grateful for the MP locomotives I have.

inkaneer

Depending on who you talk to the MP steamers seemed to be somewhat of a mixed bag.  I don't own any so have no dog in that fight. 

On the other hand I have been really impressed with the quality of the Bachmann steam products.  The original 2-8-0 was an eye opener for sure and now the addition of DCC for it as well as the 2-6-0, 4-6-0, 2-8-8-4 and heavy 4-8-2 [those are the ones I own] have made Bachmann the numero uno N scale steam locomotive manufacturer.   

In regard to the 4-6-2 Pacific type locomotive, I would love to see a PRR K4.  Yeah, I know the subject has almost been beaten to death but let's face it the Minitrix K4 sold extremely well for being a marginally reliable locomotive.   It is no longer being made but demand for them still remains high.   I would like to think that a K4 along with a USRA Pacific would both be doable given that the majority [not all, of course] of parts would be interchangeable.

dtpowell

Inkaneer, you're not alone with the need of the PRR K-4. It's long over due. It's a shame that many Iconic Locomotives are over looked while expensive tooling is produced for more obscure prototypes. I'm sure the K-4 would be a big seller. The NYC J3a  is another. While Con-Cor and Kato made example over several years and hard to find new. They're still not up to 21th century standards. The plastic valve and side rods look crude.
I've had good luck with my Model Power Locomotives. I think they were made by Korean Brass, but not sure. Most of them lacked traction tires so they did slip if over loaded and not particularly great on grades. Maybe some import will take on the line and upgrade the line or just keep 'em coming.

ryeguyisme

You have to realize, to some people the PRR K-4 is an obscure prototype

dtpowell

I realize the people who would think the Pennsylvania K-4s Pacific obscure are ignorant of American Railroad history. The PRR owned more than 400 of them. It's been the state Steam locomotive of Pennsylvania since 1987. In model form, it has been widely produced in many scales and gauges. Both toy and scale. The K4s is hardly obscure for the market a new N scale model would be focused to.

Maletrain

I would like to have a K4, because I am modelling a passenger train from that era.  But, I think a USRA light pacific would sell better.  Anyway, please Mr. B., make one or the other in DCC Spectrum SOON.