Yard Master: A Question about the newly announced 44 ton switcher

Started by brianel027, April 27, 2014, 04:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianel027

I have watched the TCA presentation with Jack Lynch. I'm sure many are happy about this announcement, though I don't envy any company today, trying to please the diversity of train operators.

I've been one of those hoping WBB will stay the same, not forgetting the semi-scale 027 operators that have supported the product line all these years. In watching the presentation, the front coupler openings in the frame do not look wide enough. Yet Jack Lynch states this loco will negotiate 027 curves.

Has Bachmann tested the prototype to be sure the loco will actually pull train cars on 027 curves without derailing them??
This was the scenario with the original RMT Beep, where they were advertised to run on 027 curves, but would not pull a train without derailing it, until a frame alteration was made and the coupler openings in the frame were widened.

Thanks in advance. Though I know many would want this loco true scale in every aspect. But it will be a much bigger seller if it is really able to run and operate on 027 curves and though the Lionel 027 switch, clearing the housing box.

3rail

Brianel027,

We are still in the sampling phase of development, but we will test the final product to operate and pull cars on O-27.  The couplers are designed differently than the Beep and pivot much closer to the opening.  I personally have some O-27 cars that will not work in the front of the train no matter what loco I use because they are too light.  However, when weighted it fixes the problem. So, in some cases the cars may be the problem not the loco.

Regards,

3rail

tomplatten

If you really want to bring smiles to us old "O" Gaugers, make it 3-2 convertable!

J. S. Bach

Quote from: tomplatten on July 27, 2014, 07:24:55 PM
If you really want to bring smiles to us old "O" Gaugers, make it 3-2 convertable!

Most definitely!! I could use a couple of two-rail ones; or, at least ones easily converted.

Later Gator,

Dave

"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do." ~P.J. O'Rourke

davejfr0

I was not at York this year to ask...

How many sets of 2R wheels would have to be ordered to get WBB interested in making insulated 2R wheelsets for their 44 tonner? 

I think if WBB offered the wheelsets, but left the kadee coupler and electrical wiring as DIY, you'd sell more of these to 2Rer's now that MTH's model is not going to be released in 2R and will have an ugly floating pilot.

Also, the catalog art shows the Southern unit with the proper headlight markers...are these on the actual WBB model?