Which Bachmann 1.20 engine gives you the most "smiles"...and why

Started by bob kaplan, April 29, 2014, 03:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tac

Quote from: Skarloey Railway on May 17, 2014, 07:07:37 AM
That's a fine argument, Kevin, and one in principle I support. In practise, while working with material that costs $1000 might require no more skill than working with material that costs $100, the anxiety factor goes up considerably and can even increase the chances of fouling up. I've had this where you get over-cautious and too tentative and too much damn thinking gets in the way of what would otherwise be automatic.

You have considerable experience in cutting and modding and have acquired the skills and confidence to tackle major projects and probably know when you start hacking up a $1000 loco that there's a good chance of making a good job, but I imagine that you gained those skills gradually and on considerably cheaper lumps of metal and plastic. Many just haven't yet got the experience and confidence to cut up a $1000 dollars without worrying that they'll end up with an expensive scenic addition to the scrapline.

'zackly so.

Here in UK that $1000 won't get you even a second-hand Forney, either.

tac

Kevin Strong

QuoteI've had this where you get over-cautious and too tentative and too much damn thinking gets in the way of what would otherwise be automatic.
That's a hurdle, to be sure, and it affects everybody on some level or another. For me, it's metalwork/lathework. It's not that I can't do it, it's just out of my comfort zone so I look for alternatives that are within. (And don't get me started on airbrushing.) But as you said, you start small and work up. The only thing that holds any of us back from trying anything in the hobby is ourselves. The more you swim in the water, the lower the diving board gets.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

As a kitbasher of many years, I got started by converting an HO U-28B diesel into a U25B.  The desire for a U25B was so strong it drove me to it since at the time there were none available from manufacturers. It took forever to do but it broke the ice for me. It was a stunning success and I got tons of wow's from my friends.  That did it!!  My confidence soared and I did way more complicated items after that which built my skills.  I also got very interested in tools.  The right tools make all the difference and it became an obsession in an of itself.  In the intervening years I got out of HO and into large scale, but my desire for things not available or too expensive kept my kitbashing efforts going.  over the years I did rolling stock as well as locomotives.   

This is a distinct part of the hobby and if you have no interest and prefer other aspects so be it. If you are interested start with something simple like the low cost Bachmann flat car.  Try making a shorty flat out of the stock flat car.  You would learn how to lay the project out, where to make the cuts, how to make the joints, how to conceal the joints, how to use filler putty, how to modify the frame, and painting and even decorating.  A razor saw, straight edge, files , glue, some hobby putty and a little paint.  You can use shake the can paint, or even brush on Acrylic paints with amazing results.  If you have fun doing it then great, if not another part of the hobby may be for you.

Using a $25 dollar used flat car versus tearing into a $1000 loco would at least get you started.  I would not recommend starting with a high dollar locomotive for a major rebuild as a first project.  Start with a simple project like adding a detail or two to a locomotive, maybe relocate a headlight or something.

The critical aspect is to have fun, if it not going to fun for you forget about it.

Cheers & beers!!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!