dcc sound plus helpful direction

Started by bigsamdog1, May 12, 2014, 05:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsamdog1

Very very new to this.  Just purchased a 0-6-0 usra dcc equipped.  Am looking for sound system to plug into it.  need information on what I need and a direction to be pointed into for tutorials on how to.  I also purchased a 0-6-0 saddle tank loco and can not get the thing to run on my NCE Power Cab system.  I followed the directions and got all my other engines to run, but not this one.  Any help would be appreciated.  Like I said I am really just learning and I might not even be in the right forum.  Thank you very much, Bill.

richg

I assume this is HO scale. There is a HO forum.

Is there a speaker hole on the bottom of the tender. The photos in the diagram page do not show a speaker hole or if the tender has metal wheels or if the decoder is in the tender.  The diagram page might not be up to date.
I seriously doubt there is a plug in for sound for this loco. It would be "light stream" though.
Most sound steam locos have six wires between the loco and tender.
HO usually use a 28mm round speaker and a SoundTraxx 750 in the tender would work. Just don't try to use the decoder for smoke. Expect to pay about $100.00.

The 0-6-0T would need the sound decoder and speaker in the loco. Not a project for new users.

Describe in detail what you tried to do with the Power Cab. I and a couple others here have the Power Cab.

Edit.
Below is a link about DCC and sound. Look though ALL the links since you are new. Take your time. The answers are there. Don't make assumptions. Going from DC to DCC is a big step regardless what some will say about the difference.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Google should be your best friend and many times you get a quicker answer with links, but might take some time.

Rich

bigsamdog1

Yes, this is HO that I have.

Thank you very much for the information Rich.  I'm going to make a copy and put your info in my folder so it will be close at hand.

There is so much info out there and I kind of go into overload when I delve into it.

Thanks again Rich.

Bill.

richg

Store any links in Favourites. There is tons of DCC info on the 'Net.

You can find hundreds of videos on You Tube. Try searching on You Tube for Bachmann as an example.
Store the links in Favourites.
Take time looking through the General and HO forums here Many never do and there is a lot of good info. I have a few hundred links from Google and Bachmann searches.
Look though all the links in the Bachmann website here. Many never do that.

To make troubleshooting easier, get a Photo Bucket account and up load your pictures there. Then copy and paste the photo into a message here. A picture is worth a thousand words and helps many times to get a quicker answer.
You can get a You Tube account for up loading videos.

Below is a link to a fellow in Oz who uses a lot of DCC products made in the USA. I see him in a few groups.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/index.htm

DCC theory

http://www.awrr.com/dccintro1.html

By the way, you can run decoders on DC but have to turn up the power pack higher than when running a DC only loco.

Good luck. You will like DCC.

Rich

richg

I figure when you came into the Bachmann site, the first forum you see is General and did not scroll down to see what else is here.
That is why I mentioned to look all around the Bachmann site. There are many links for loco diagrams, the online catalogue, etc.

Rich

bigsamdog1

You are right about that.  I'll be searching around.
Again Rich, thanks for helping.  I'm sure I'll have many, many question to come.
Bill.

Jerrys HO

Bill,

I gave up on mine and just bought a sound value 0-6-0. A lot cheaper and easier than adding sound.
I have the UP #4441 with Vandy tender and the decoder was and still is in the cab. Not much room in the boiler area for it. The Vandy tender is just as small and does not seem feasible to add a speaker or decoder together inside.
If you do attempt this project, PLEASE and I mean PLEASE post photo's.

Jerry