News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

liquid nails

Started by usher42, October 08, 2007, 02:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usher42

I have dvd of world greatest hobbies that shows using liquid nails to fasten ez track to foam  is that ok to use to hold ez track down if not what would you suggest.

fieromike

Quote from: usher42 on October 08, 2007, 02:42:35 AM
I have dvd of world greatest hobbies that shows using liquid nails to fasten ez track to foam  is that ok to use to hold ez track down if not what would you suggest.
Works just fine, but make sure that you get the kind that can be used with foam.  The other stuff will melt the foam while you watch...

Mike

usher42

what about using liquid nails to fasten ez track to plywood

JerryB

Using strong, aggressive adhesives that result in a permanent unbreakable bond between track and the sub roadbed means the track is there forever and that it will be impossible to remove and reuse in the future.

When I was working in the smaller scales, I used a variety of small nails and / or relatively 'soft adhesives'. These adhesives can be used sparingly in 'spot' applications rather than running large, long continuous beads. This allows the (expensive) track to be lifted without destroying it when you want or need to revise the layout or build a new layout. Some of the contact type fabric adhesives are perfect for this application.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Mike

Craft type hot melt works well, too. And it can be softened for removal with a handheld hair dryer.- Mike

Pacific Northern

Low temp hot glue is the answer. I use Woodland scenics works great. If you need to redo you can carefully cut the bond and the glue will peel off and you can restart.
Pacific Northern

JM

Latex silicone caulking.