News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Re-wiring the Shay and Climax trucks ?

Started by mickeykelley, May 11, 2014, 11:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickeykelley

In the process of re-wiring these trucks for RC, sound, etc. I've already read the GIRR stuff, but one thing I'm not clear on is wire gauge.  The factory motor, at least on the Climax, and pickup wires seem awful small. Not a wire expert but based on some 22ga I've got around here, it looks much smaller, like maybe 26.  What do you recommend for this and do y'all change out the wire all the way from the trucks and to the motor, or just tie into factory wire. 

Loco Bill Canelos

MIckey,

It does amaze me how small they are when looking at some of the wiring in both Bachmann products and other brands.  I often wonder how they can carry the loads they do.  I have no electrical training other than what I learned in the hobby so I really don't understand why it works.  I do understand that some circuits are lower voltage using regulators bthat is about it.  I use 22 myself on most all my installs. I usually just tie in when using the original boards.  When gutting the boards I usually retain the wiring from the trucks and to the lighting and chuff sensors if used. everything else I run new wire.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!