Putting Sound into Bachmann Vanderbilt (Vandy) Tenders

Started by railandsail, May 15, 2014, 09:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railandsail

I have a number of Bachmann Vandy tenders that I wish to put sound (and decoders) into. In particular I am looking at the VC16 and VC12 tenders at the moment.

First the VC16 tenders. I want to build at least 3 different versions for experimentation purposes.
1) mount a Railmaster bass-reflex speaker (already enclosed in its own 'box') on the bottom frame firing out the bottom of the tender.
2) make another version like that of #1, but add a small round hi-bass speaker firing out the front of the tender (in the slot provided for the drawbar) into the cab area of the loco.
3) make another version that would utilize 2 or 3 small hi-base speakers firing out the bottom of the tender, plus one such speaker firing out front of the tender into the cab area of the loco

The VC 16 tenders I have do NOT have any holes in their bottom sides to let the sound out, so I need to drill some. I am proposing to drill some rather 'larger than stock' size holes in between the two long frame members in the bottom of the tender. My thoughts are that these larger diameter holes will allow for a deeper base sound to emanate (sort of like those custom car mufflers for those small engined imports)

In drilling these sound relief holes it would be much easier if that brake reserve cylinder were not in the way.
Any suggestions on how to remove and then reinstall it and its piping??

RailMaster Speakers I intend to use
http://www.railmasterhobbies.com/Speakers.htm

ebtnut

Have you considered cutting out the coal load and directing the speakers up?  Cut a piece of foam and shape it to a coal load, paint it black, then glue scale coal to the top.  This should allow sufficient sound while not having to mess with the underframe.

richg

I am sure you did not scroll down. There is a HO forum here.

The coal load option is good. Some do this with a 16mm x 35mm oval speaker. You can mount the speaker firing up or down. Drill tiny holes in the coal load and use diluted white glue on the load and sprinkle with coal dust. Some have done that as well with standard coal load tenders.

Also, many suggestions, photos in the below link.

http://tinyurl.com/ns4hwm4

Rich

Doneldon

As an alternative to the foam and fake coal, shape a small piece of fine screen (window screen or
no-see-um screen, and glue fake coal and coal dust to it. This will be at least as durable as foam
while permitting the sound to pass more easily. Be sure to use metal screen to hold the shape.

-- D

railandsail

Quote from: richg on May 19, 2014, 03:54:29 PM
I am sure you did not scroll down. There is a HO forum here.

The coal load option is good. Some do this with a 16mm x 35mm oval speaker. You can mount the speaker firing up or down. Drill tiny holes in the coal load and use diluted white glue on the load and sprinkle with coal dust. Some have done that as well with standard coal load tenders.

Also, many suggestions, photos in the below link.

http://tinyurl.com/ns4hwm4

Rich

Hi Rich,
Do you think it might be better to place this discussion in the HO section?

Can you post photos on this forum,...or do you have to reference folks to a photo hosting site? What is they say, ...a picture is woth a thousand words.... ;)

Here is another forum where I posted this discussion with some photos:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?27672-Adapt-Bachmann-Vandy-Tenders-to-Run-Behind-Other-Engines&p=348505#post348505

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?27672-Adapt-Bachmann-Vandy-Tenders-to-Run-Behind-Other-Engines&p=348506#post348506

Jerrys HO

QuoteDo you think it might be better to place this discussion in the HO section?

Probably not, but in the future maybe. Some folks go straight to their scale and bypass general discussion.

Pics need an outside source such as photobucket. Don't know how you posted the other pics on the other site but may be the same. Nice pics by the way.

Jerry

Jerrys HO

I guess Yardy did not agree with my assumption ;D or just made a point to my reply.

richg

Obvious Man said obviously you should post in the scale you are discussing. It seems as the Bach-Man agrees since he usually moves the discussions to the proper scale it it is scale related.
I think what some see first when they come here is the General discussion forum and never take time to look though ALL the website.
Many questions can be answered by looking through all the site.
DCC CV's, loco diagrams, Parts orders, repair details, replacing defective trains are some examples.

Rich

Jerrys HO

Rich,

QuoteIt seems as the Bach-Man agrees since he usually moves the discussions to the proper scale it it is scale related.

It only took him a month in a half. ::) ;D You know he seen it before that!

I think he saw my reply and was picking on me. :o :'(

Jerry