News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new scratch building project

Started by uscgtanker, May 19, 2014, 06:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uscgtanker

I'm starting a new project after building the main body for a line of passenger cars. So now i'm going to put my hand at building a TMER&L steeple cab # L-8. The one part to this project that needs a little magic is the traction motors. There is a company that makes them but 75$ for one is not really in my budget. So i'm going to try making them with readily available parts. I will try posting pics for those that want to see.

Chris PRR

Please lets see pics, passenger cars too.

uscgtanker

Here are some pics of the passenger car set i'm currently holding on any of L8 till i get more measurements. Nice thing I live 20 minutes to east troy and have a membership. Plus being one of there main track inspectors and MOW crew I can get things done. All the passenger cars have lights, though the ops is going to have a blinking LED and barrel head light.

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/uscgtanker/library/?sort=3&page=1

clan line 35028

great so far bro. after the L8 project how about car 24 and 25 the dinner train?

uscgtanker

Frame of L-8 is in measurement to real prototype. Started with the traction motors and trucks today will have more pics latter this week.

uscgtanker

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/uscgtanker/library/L-8%20project?sort=3&page=1

the body is built and three of the four traction motors are also built. will be building one truck to test the motors hauling power traction rating horsepower to scale and suspension. Last saturday was riding on L-8 to elegant farm to move three south shore cars.

uscgtanker

Made a little error when I built the cab I forgot weight in the humps at each end. Today I fixed that by cutting up two old rail spiks. now she Is heaveir then my Bachmann climax. Currently working out my traction motors and resistor bank. Will be trying one truck assembly on it's own. will have a video of that working.

Loco Bill Canelos

Nice work!!  The traction motors were especially impressive.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

uscgtanker

I set up one truck assembly today and tried pulling my heaviest car. No problem with traction and pulling power with 2 motors. And what I payed to build 2 trucks is 40-45$.

here is my youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1UX-3354J4&feature=youtu.be

armorsmith

Sweet project. How about sharing the construction process and sources.  I am sure there are others on here and other fora that would be real interested.
Bob C.

uscgtanker

For the construction proses is slow since I work 12 hour shifts. but I did build one full truck assembly but got stuck with the wiring connections. And what sources are you looking for bob. Where to get info, parts and the prints.

The location of L-8 is at east troy railroad museum which I'm a member there. And 20 minutes north of east troy.
the parts are from hobby town, Hiawatha hobby's and radio shack.

I've had some fun discovery's modeling L-8 with her history and operating her as crew. I will say the guys at ETTM call her slugger for a reason.

armorsmith

I am curious where you got the gears and motor.  It appears that you have modified a standard Bachmann 31mm wheel set to get the 'traction motor axle'. In case you are curious, there is a thread over on the My Large Scale forum on doing this type of drive.
http://forums.mylargescale.com/15-model-making/30937-magic-carpet-drive-similar.html
Burl has gone way beyond where you are, but I like your simple solution far better.
Bob C.

uscgtanker

to answer your last question bob, I got the gears at hobby town. they are reagular RC truck drive gears 48P pinion 34T, by Robinson Racing Products. The motor's are from radioshack 1.5-3vDC motor with metal gear. If there is a simple solution to anything keep it.
I'm looking at the possibility to make this model RC control. I'm also thinking on making more then one model and build a few more in 1:29th.

armorsmith

Most large scale power supplies are in the 19-24 volt range. I am thinking that a 1.5-3 volt motor might not last too long in that environment.

uscgtanker

I know the voltage is way to high but with my transformer I can run large the switch to Ho scale voltage. I can also put resistors in the wire circuit. And since I'm going to run this on RC it wouldn't be that much voltage.