News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

McKinley Explorer Passenger Cars

Started by rbryce1, May 13, 2014, 11:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbryce1

I see Bachmann just released another passenger car in this line called the Chulitna with lights.  There are only two cars left in the McKinley Explorer line that they don't have, the Kashwitna (1058) and the Teklanika (1059), both introduced in 2005 to the Holland America Line on the Alaska Railroad.

Since Bachmann already makes these cars (frame, lights, interior and shell), all they need to do is change the names and numbers on the coaches to complete the line.

Any chance of this happening soon?

ACY

Why not just do it yourself? It seems like a pretty simple task, remove the existing and then just re-letter it yourself.

rbryce1

Quote from: ACY on May 13, 2014, 02:20:21 PM
Why not just do it yourself? It seems like a pretty simple task, remove the existing and then just re-letter it yourself.

I've never done that, removing the existing lettering.  I assume it is painted on, not a decal.  If it is painted, how would you remove just the lettering without damaging the finish of the car itself?

If it is just a decal, it seems like it would be much easier for Bachmann to just put it on in the first place.

justl

Check out:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25384

Gojo comes in an orange bottle, it's a pumice, I apply it with my finger.  It works,just requires a little patience.  You can get it at a big box hardware store.

jbrock27

This is a great suggestion.  Thank you justl!
Keep Calm and Carry On

justl

I have used Gojo only on steam locomotives and tenders where a dull finish is desirable.  Once the undesired lettering is removed you can detect some residual smudge. When applying decals I use micro set and then micro sol, in that order (alphabetical).   After the decals have dried I spray Testors dulcote and there is no sign of any smudge and there is no tell tale skin of a decal visible.