News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Southern GP50

Started by Catt, May 20, 2014, 09:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catt

Hi, tried to post this in the DCC forum but there does not seem to be a message button.I have a Bachmann Southern GP50 I would like to add DCC to.Is there an easy way to do this,or should I just buy a GP 38-2 or 40 with DCC and just swap drives?

kamerad47

NCE makes a swap DCC board for this!!!!!!

bapguy

Is this the older style with light bulbs? If so you need to make sure the motor is isolated from the frame. If it's the newer one then it's DCC on board and the NCE decoder will replace the decoder in the loco. Or do you want to add sound to it ?  Joe

richg

Quote from: Catt on May 20, 2014, 09:14:07 AM
Hi, tried to post this in the DCC forum but there does not seem to be a message button.I have a Bachmann Southern GP50 I would like to add DCC to.Is there an easy way to do this,or should I just buy a GP 38-2 or 40 with DCC and just swap drives?

All you have to do is post in the proper forum for the scale of interest.
Try to put a space after a period. Makes it easier to read here.
Many locos do not have plug and play.
Always open your loco and see what you have inside. You are going to have to open it up anyway.
Without more details or a photo, it can be difficult to figure out what loco you really have.

Google, NCE Bach-DSL.

Rich

Catt

The GP50 is a older model analog unit.his is what I have,what have I got?

rogertra

This looks like an old, really old model.

Why would you want to put DCC into it?

Just buy a new and better quality model that comes with DCC.

Sometimes it's just not worth the time, effort or money to upgrade an older model.  All you end up with is an older, poor running model when compared to today's models.

I gave away all my all Athearns, even though they were still in good operating condition because the newer diesel models are far, far better.

I would never put DCC into them, just not worth it.

Cheers

Roger T.

jward

if that were an older "gp50" wouldn't it have the pancake motor instead of the can motor shown in the photo?

that drive looks similar to the b23-7. the conversion to dcc isn't particularly difficult, there is more than enough room in the body for whatever decoder you choose. the motor contacts the frame with metal contact strips. you can remover those strips, then solder the decoder wires directly to the motor brush caps. cover those solder joints with electrical tape an the motor is isolated.

note: be sure to carefully remove the brush caps from yhe motor before you try to solder to them. try not to disturb the motor brush and spring when the cap is removed.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Catt,

Quote from: Catt on May 20, 2014, 08:24:27 PM
The GP50 is a older model analog unit.his is what I have,what have I got?

This link should help. It is was posted by Jim Banner way back.
Jim states it will help you with most split frame installs. Hope it helps.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

Jerry

Catt

Roger T.The locomotive runs very well thank you.As far as I am concerned it is well worth the investment involved for DCC. As for the Athearn's I have they all run sweet with a little TLC which even the much newer units require at times.I also have a Bachmann SD45 that will be recieving DCC.

bapguy

What you have is not a split frame model. It looks like the motor is wired to the PC board as well as the track power and bulb. NVE decoder # BACH-DSL should work for this. Unsolder the wires from the board and replace the board with the decoder. You will need to cover the top of the frame with a piece of plastic or electrical tape to keep the decoder from shorting out. A length of double side tape will work as well.  Go to the NCE DCC web site for more details. This decoder has LED's attached to it I believe , if not get a pair. LED's are better then bulbs.    Joe

richg

Very nice with the photo.
The Bach-DSL decoder was developed specifically for the Bachmann diesels. Reason for the label for the decoder. No doubt it can be used in other brands of diesels.
The LED's are attached to the board when you receive the decoder.
Isolate the two motor contacts and connect two wires.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: Catt on May 21, 2014, 11:19:24 AM
Roger T.The locomotive runs very well thank you.As far as I am concerned it is well worth the investment involved for DCC. As for the Athearn's I have they all run sweet with a little TLC which even the much newer units require at times.I also have a Bachmann SD45 that will be recieving DCC.

If you're happy with spending the money who am I to argue?

I guess some of us have higher standards when it comes to detail and running qualities of locomotives, rolling stock etc..

As I wrote before, all my Athearn diesels were given away as better detailed, more accurate (No more Athearn over sized GP hoods) and better running models became available.  But, each to his own.

Cheers.

Roger T.

jbrock27

Roger, while you'll admit you don't recall the type of motors the Athearns you gave away had, I suspect they were the grey magnet, "jet motor" types not the newer "gold can" motors with gold flywheels.  These models run  much better, have better shells and are DCC friendly and convertible compared to the ones you likely gave away.  To lump them all in the same boat, would be wrong ole boy and the equivalent of categorizing the performance of all Bachmann locos together, disregarding improvements made since the pancake motor ones were produced.

Catt and bapguy, I know who I am going to if I ever decide to convert locos to DCC :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: bapguy on May 21, 2014, 12:21:03 PM
What you have is not a split frame model. It looks like the motor is wired to the PC board as well as the track power and bulb. NVE decoder # BACH-DSL should work for this. Unsolder the wires from the board and replace the board with the decoder. You will need to cover the top of the frame with a piece of plastic or electrical tape to keep the decoder from shorting out. A length of double side tape will work as well.  Go to the NCE DCC web site for more details. This decoder has LED's attached to it I believe , if not get a pair. LED's are better then bulbs.    Joe

Nice catch Joe, I completely overlooked that it was not a split frame.

Catt, as Joe stated the NCE decoder would be a great candidate for your engine. I have one installed on one of my Geeps and what an improvement it has made in the running characteristics.

Roger, the NCE Bach DSL sells for 20.00. Well worth the investment.
High standards are what you make of it, you can always add detail cheaper than some of the overpriced other manufactures. Then again most who see my trains would not know what to look for anyway ::).

Jerry

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on May 21, 2014, 04:52:33 PM
Roger, while you'll admit you don't recall the type of motors the Athearns you gave away had, I suspect they were the grey magnet, "jet motor" types not the newer "gold can" motors with gold flywheels.  These models run  much better, have better shells and are DCC friendly and convertible compared to the ones you likely gave away.  To lump them all in the same boat, would be wrong ole boy and the equivalent of categorizing the performance of all Bachmann locos together, disregarding improvements made since the pancake motor ones were produced.

The Athearn locos I gave away were indeed the older Athearns.  The ones with the wider than scale hoods, sintered steel wheels and pre-DCC ready locos, not with the gold motor.  Which is why I gave them away.  They just don't come up to today's standards in either detail nor smooth operation, though of course, in their day, they were THE diesels models of choice.   But no longer.  As you can tell, I'm rather fussy about detail and the smooth running of my locos.  Locos that don't come up to scratch are retired.

I hadn't used the Athearns since Atlas introduced their line of really nice diesels which was what, 20 plus years ago?  :)

In fact, other than two 4-6-2s and two 2-8-2s I have no Athearn locos of any kind in my loco fleet.

Cheers.

Roger T.