News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Connie tender truck disintegration....

Started by tac, May 23, 2014, 11:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tac

:o ??? x 10.

It's a nice day here, so I got out some trains to run while mrs tac milked the chickens and so on while I got down to some serious laziness.

Putting my Bachmann Connie on the track was not a problem, after all, I have done it a zillion times before, but putting the tender on the track was a bit of a surprise, to say the least.

The instant that the weight went onto the wheels, BOTH side-frames on the rear truck sheared off at the screw-fix point, leaving me with an unuseable loco.

Anybody seen anything like this before?

Living here in yUK is the real problem, since Bachmann [Europe] has a very poor 'track' record where I am concerned, and I hae me doots that they have any parts for this OOD model now, if, indeed, they ever had 'em in the fust place.

Any point in asking Bachmann in the USA to help?

TIA

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

mickeykelley

I guess y'all do things different there than here in the "colonies".  Here we milk the cows not the chickens....maybe that has something to do with the tender....;-)

Actually, I have not had that problem with my Connie tender, but then I have not used that much.  How old is it?  The trucks are available as a part though.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_142&products_id=532

Hope this helps.

Mickey

StanAmes

If they do not have the older 2-8-0 trucks in stock you might want to ask about possible K27 tender trucks.

The K27 tender has two different trucks,  The early one has trucks that are plastic and are identical to the 2-8-0 trucks.  (the later are metal)  You just need to use the side spacers from the broken 2-8-0 trucks.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Chuck N

TAC:

I had the same problem several years ago, 5-10 years, can't remember exactly when.  There are several possible solutions.  I think that TOC had a fix, using longer screws between the bolster and the side frame.  A search of this site might bring it up.

When it first happened to me I had an extra pair of LGB or Bachmann freight trucks that I used as a substitute until I got something better.

A short time later I was at a steamup and someone was selling some Accucraft Caboose trucks.  They are an excellent substitute for the tender trucks.

I just went out and looked at my Bachmann D&RGW long caboose.  Its trucks are very similar to the Accucraft trucks.  You might check with Bachmann or Accucraft (UK) to see if they have any caboose trucks for sale as a separate item.

Don't feel as if you are the only one who has had this problem.  I think everyone, I know, who has a Connie has had the trucks break.  You are fortunate in that yours lasted a long as they did.  I have heard of some breaking right out of the box.

Chuck

PS I occasionally have to go out and get eggs from the cow barn.

PPS I just found my thread on MY LARGE SCALE.COM where there was some discussion of the Connie tender trucks back in 2008.  Reading through the thread below, it must have been about 10 years ago mine broke.

http://forums.mylargescale.com/21-rolling-stock/772-bachmann-2-8-0-tender-trucks-substitute.html

JLyans

The K-27 tender trucks have a price of $25. Is that price for a pair of trucks or for a single truck? Thanks. John Lyans

tac

Thanks, all for the suggestions et al.

In the end I pulled off the springs, dismantled the truck, stuck the broken stubs back on in the right location, and used a couple of longer screws to hold the whole thing together.  Epoxy resin adhesive is your friend.  Then I did it with the other one, remembering to re-make the pickup connections.

It was running most of last evening until it go too dark and began to rain [again].

Best to all, especially Dave over there  ;)

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

PS - for future reference, there are no AccuCraft trucks on sale here in UK - of any kind.  Bachmann [Europe]? 

Hah.

Loco Bill Canelos

Tac's way worked for me.  Later runs did not seem to have the problem.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!