News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Found this in a garage sale

Started by WP_LOCO, May 26, 2014, 09:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WP_LOCO

I think it is a decelerator for a hump yard! Has no leads coming from it and says Bachmann Hong Kong on the Back. Who better to identify this than a Bachmann fan.  ???

richg

Quote from: WP_LOCO on May 26, 2014, 09:39:32 AM
I think it is a decelerator for a hump yard! Has no leads coming from it and says Bachmann Hong Kong on the Back. Who better to identify this than a Bachmann fan.  ???
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t607/rjm1949/Stuff%20on%20Forums/ask_zpsc51bf4f9.jpg

There are four links in Photo Bucket. Click on the bottom one, IMG and copy and paste into the message. The photo will be seen without anyone having to click on the link you posted in the first message.

Rich

Jerrys HO

jward

a derailment waiting to happen. look at the size of those gaps in the rail.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jward on May 26, 2014, 11:18:52 AM
a derailment waiting to happen. look at the size of those gaps in the rail.

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

I think the wheel will derail it before the gap Jeff.

WP_LOCO

Thanks richg for the lesson in photos. Does not derail the car. I put a few sections of track on both ends and ran a car by it. Just slowed the car down, the wheel moves the two knobs, but the knobs do not turn the wheel.
RJ

jbrock27

A few years ago, there were a couple of these in with a box of brass track and turnouts I purchased.  I could not figure out what purpose they were for either.   Took it to the LHS and even the proprietor could not figure them out, so I ended up tossing them.
Did you get any other (good) stuff from the garage sale?  I'm always impressed when someone finds something decent at one as I never find any, decent train items at garage/tag/yard/estate sales.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

I suspect it was used to operate some kind of accessory. Did some Googling of Bachmann train accessories but have yet to find anything.
I wonder if it was with Bachmann products sold in the UK? I rarely see anything sold by Bachmann in the UK on the internet. Have to look more closely.

"decelerator for a hump yard" is an interesting thought.

Rich

Skarloey Railway

I agree. A level-crossing (grade-crossing) or a signal is the most obvious that come to mind. One assumes that the flange pressing against the plastic makes something move but exactly what isn't clear. Also.... okay I now have a mental image of the crossing barriers leaping up and down every time a wheel flange depresses that wheel  ???

WP_LOCO

Thank you for your efforts, had this posted on MRH.com and a fellow there solved the mystery. Very clever way of doing things before Decoders and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER8c-zX8cHkr
Have a Great Week all. :o
RJ

Jerrys HO

WP
I take it you don't have any of the accessories that went with it. Sure would have been neat to own one back in my youth. Hours of operational fun!
Although not as sophisticated as what we have now, it still looked like fun (for a little while ;D).
Thanks for sharing that with us, I had searched for awhile going through HOSEEKER to find with no luck.

Jerry

richg

Quote from: WP_LOCO on May 27, 2014, 04:50:27 PM
Thank you for your efforts, had this posted on MRH.com and a fellow there solved the mystery. Very clever way of doing things before Decoders and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER8c-zX8cHkr
Have a Great Week all. :o
RJ

Very good. That MRH site is quite a set of forums.

Rich

jbrock27

Great detective work WP!

(it's too bad the noise from the loco drowned out the great music playing the background...)
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

One downside of a Google search, you can easily get sidetracked. Sometimes find stuff you wish you did not find? lol

Rich

jbrock27

Agree.  Looking up one thing leads to another and another; it gets addictive and all of a sudden, 2 hours later...
Keep Calm and Carry On