Need to reverse polarity on my Spectrum 4-4-0.....

Started by GANDYLEE, May 31, 2014, 12:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GANDYLEE

I'm sure this question was answered before, but I couldn't find the answer. Have 2 4-4-0s 1 goes forward the other backward. Would like to change polarity.

Chuck N

Check around the engine for a switch.  It will have "LS" on one side and "NMRA" on the other.  Check for the same switch on the other engines.  They should all be set in the same direction, if you want them to play nicely together.

LS is the polarity first used by LGB and then followed by most other large scale manufacturers.  NMRA is the polarity standard recommended by the NMRA, but it is generally not followed in Large Scale.  The "NMRA" is used in all of the other scales, O,HO, N and Z.

If you can't find the switch, usually behind the smoke box door, or in the cab, you may have to open it up and swap the leads on the motor.  I don't have that specific engine, but I had to swap the leads on the motor of THOMAS.  My other Bachmann engines have a polarity switch.

Chuck

glennk28

I had one of the early 4-4-0's--with "NMRA Polarity" and no selector switch--The Bach Man published instructions for the change--needs a soldering iron.
gj

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!