News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Servicing a Class J

Started by rrtreerat, June 17, 2014, 10:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrtreerat

Needing information on the steps required (i.e. what screws to remove and so forth) for opening the mechanism for servicing and rewiring of a class J northern.
N-Scale and Plant-N-Trak Coordinator

gatrhumpy

Locomotive or tender?

On the tender, there are two screws to remove to remove the shell: one just forward of the rear coupler, and one just forward of the speaker hole. Then slide a flat-bladed screwdriver or knife and gently lift off.

rrtreerat

Thanks for the very informative link. I have to run all new wires between the engine and tender as the paint used to insulate had come off in places and fried a decoder.

seadowns

Hi!

I've found the same problem with my 4-8-4J's: the insulation on these very tiny wires between loco and tender is sort of scrappy and could make contact to the metal loco body.
So I took some colourless nail enamel wich my wife hase no longer in use and painted a thin layer over the wires.
Since then I never had any probs with these locos and there was no reason for me to switch the wiring.

Best regards
Mathi

rrtreerat

Thanks on the suggestion for the wires Seadown, but these wires are a bit too far gone (signs of melting on the paint used to insulate) so I'll be running a newer set.

Old John

Try coating the wires with "New Skin", its clear and when dry its flexible.