News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trip current settings

Started by Chris G, June 06, 2014, 08:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris G

Hi all,
I have installed a reverse loop on my layout with Cobalt switch machine and PSX-AR to control the polarity and the switch machine. Can anyone advise about current trip settings for J6 on the PSX-AR ?. When a loco reaches the gap in the loop it stops, sometimes my short circuit light comes on bright, sometimes just dull. Sometimes no light comes on, the switch changes and the loco restarts them moves off through the switch. I think it is to do with the current trip settings but don"t have enough "nouse" to work it out or courage to start experimenting blindly. I need an answer as simple as " put wire in A and connect to B " if that is possible. I run the usual Bachmann locos, 2-6-0, Forney, Davenport, Porters etc all on DCC.

Kind regards
Chris
??? 

Stevelewis

When  using  reverse  loops  I  find   it  MUCH  easier   to  simple  use  a  reverse loop  module,  theses  are  comparatively inexpensive , simple  to  connect, and  they  work.

I have  used  them  for  many  years  on  both  my  indoor  and  outdoor lines
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Chris G

Hi Steve,
What's a reverse loop module ?

railexpert

Hi,

the PSX-AR is a Revers Loop Module, see http://dccspecialties.com/products/pdf/man_psxar.pdf

For questions ask DCC-SPECIALITES.

Railexpert   :o

Chris G

I need to think outside the square a bit more !
Thanks
Chris

Chris G

OK,
Have checked DCC website and rechecked my wiring many times but still cannot get switch to change when train bridges the gaps. Have tried different trip settings. Now switch won't change even when I short out the rail. I wired a globe to the PSX-AR switch leads expecting to see it light when power was sent to the switch but it did not light either leading me to think the PSX-AR is not doing its job.

I am wondering if the PSX-AR has failed and not is suitable to drive a Cobalt switch motor .

Really frustrated now. Have emailed DCC but no response after a month. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Chris

Chris G

Hello all,
The outcome of my situation may be helpful for others ending up with my problem.
With the help of Larry Maier, the PSX-AR designer and Erik Fiske, President of American Hobby Distributors my problem has been solved.
The PSX-AR is not designed to drive the Cobalt switch machine and attempting to do so will result in the drive in the PSX-AR failing due to the higher current required by the Cobalt.
Erik offered a solution to my problem which I am very pleased with.
Excellent support and service such this deserves to be announced.
Individuals such as Erik and Larry along with their business and associates truly deserve support considering how difficult the economy is these days.

Thanks Chris