News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Locos??

Started by glennk28, June 08, 2014, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk28

Just got my 2014 catalog--I do not recall reading anything about the Large Scale/ 1"20.3 Forneys as "coming attractions" --Whenn are they coming out?  Or have they already?

Kevin Strong

The Forney came out a few years ago. I'm partial to the inside frame version myself, but can't justify one on my railroad. (That, and if I did a Maine Forney, it'd have to be "proper" 7/8" scale. Someday, when I have a lot more room...)

Bachmann hasn't announced any new 1:20.3 items yet. They'll make those announcements in July at the NMRA show.

Later,

K

CCSG

I'm anxiously waiting the July announcement. Hoping first for some 1:20.3 passenger cars. Fingers crossed.

Patrick
Patrick Kramer

mickeykelley

Well that won't happen now that you said it.  Kind of like the birthday cake wish, you gotta keep it quiet or it won't happen. Buts feel your pain.....

CCSG

Mickeykelley,

I hope your not right. Given the history of Bachmann releasing 1:20.3 models of Blackstone's 1:87 models, I think it's a possibility and would fill a market. I don't think Bachmann needs t release any more locomotives in 1:20.3 but but rerelease some of there past offerings. Look how popular the Connie still is. There are no bachmann passenger equipment to go behind the beautiful K-27 and C-19, and few freight equipment currently in production. Time will tell. Only a month away.

Patrick
Patrick Kramer

Loco Bill Canelos

The yardmaster and the Bach-man have said in the past that it was unlikely  the would offer 1:20.3 passenger cars in competition with the other companies so I would not get my hopes up.

Hobbies and leisure activities are in a huge slump.  The golf industry in in a terrible slump, attendance is down at racetracks, baseball and basketball.  I knew things were bad but even at that, the stands at the Dover NASCAR race last Sunday were almost empty except the stands by the start line. My hobby shop reports sales are down in every category including R/C race cars.  Plastic kit sales are way down as are model railroad products.  They no longer stock any Large scale products except for a few sets mostly Thomas related.  Large scale producers and hobby outlets are under severe pressure from weak sales and poor margins.

When a family or individual has not seen a increase in income for several years but has seen the cost of living increase quite a bit the first thing that has to go is leisure time  hobby and fun stuff.

The reality of the present situation is difficult at best for a manufacturer.  In any case when things are tight the manufacturer will produce items with the best possibility of success and with the best margins or just wait out the situation in the hopes things will improve for financially stressed families.

Within the Large scale market, the best sellers are 1:29 rather than 1:20.3.  If I were a manufacturer and I did not have products in the 1:29th market I would try to either buyout failed manufacturers of 1:29th products or develop attractive products for that part of the large scale market at the lowest possible cost.

I too look forward to July announcements, but I have decided to be pessimistic so that if there is some really wonderful news I can be overjoyed, and if there is no real news I won't be too depressed.

In my opinion a re release of the Connie with the improved gears would be a good move at a low cost.  The loco does have a huge fan base, and is easily modified to change appearance.

Just my 14 cents worth(inflation you know) ;D

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

Knowing even less about economics and manufacturing, I will put only 12 cents worth of opinions....yes, a newly geared Connie would be great...and how about modernizing the 4-4-0 and the 2-6-0 spectrums: domes, headlights maybe the cabs, etc.and maybe some gearing alterations as well.
  And of course, if they did get adventurous, something from the EBT stable!!...  ;)

Mark Oles

Bill,

I would HOPE that the Dover racetrack was nearly empty last Sunday, as the race was at Pocono!  Which begs the question: who paid to go to Dover to watch the Pocono race?!!  I don't watch car races, I only have this information because my brother took my parents to Pocono!

Speculating is fun!  I'm wondering how the PIKO moguls and 0-6-0s are biting in to the Annie Big Hauler market.  Street prices are similar, but the new PIKO models are coming in a dizzying array of colors and configurations, including the camelback.  I'm wondering if we'll see new 'standard gauge' paint jobs on the veteran Annie.  Earlier (1890s) standard gauge 4-6-0s didn't look too much different than the SPC version.  Perhaps a NY,NH &H version? Certainly a PRR painted loco must be in demand?   Of course, I'm still maintaining that if Bachmann makes a Strasburg RR starter set, I'm obliged to purchase one!

glennk28

thanks--they must have slipped by me--I seem to recall the On30 versions--  gj

Loco Bill Canelos

Mark right I did screw up on that. :-[. Pocono it is I am not a race fan either, but my nephew is.

It amazes me that Bachmann has not put out a Strasburg starter set as well.  I hav e wondered how the D&S sales have been going, but I have no clue.

As for Piko I will make no comment since they are not Bachmann products.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chastity

Seriously doubt anything new in 1:20.3.  I would not mind seeing an updated version of the K-27 with lowering gearing, and on board speaker.

However, given that, and the fact that Bachmann seems to follow Blackstone models that manufacturer is releasing a K-28.  Prettiest of the Rio Grande mikes (I still favour Millie of the EBT but then I have one of those in live steam so a bit jaded).

R. J. Raleigh

I still want a C-16 in a "as delivered" 1881 Baldwin/Brooks version.
But hey, I've only been posting this for the past 12 years.

tac

My vote was for a Spectrum-grade model of the White Pass mike, #73.  Only LGB/Aster has ever made one in large-scale, and IMO an affordable model would sell like ice creams on Independence Day.  A Spectrum-quality model of THE mike from the world's most popular and most-visited NG railway?

By me that's a no-brainer, given the original 50/50 chance of getting a lemon in the wrong scale, as I did - twice in a row.  But when there is nothing else.......

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS