News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC Power to Tracks

Started by JTRogman, June 19, 2014, 10:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTRogman

I would like to know the exact, and most efficient way to even out and disperse the DC power throughout the entire track so I don't loose power on a long (very long) track?

Is there a diagram of some sort that explains how to do it correctly, without mucking it up?

Maybe using more than one transformer?
Please help.

Fuzzy

jbrock27

Do not use more than 1 transformer, unless you plan on using a "block" system (that a whole other kettle of fish).

To help answer your question:

-make sure your rails are clean
-joiners tight (sometimes can require soldering as well)
-depending on the size of the layout, you may want to put several "feeder wires" at different intervals along the layout
Keep Calm and Carry On

bapguy

I have feeder wires every few feet on my layout. Use 12 or 14 gauge wire for the main "bus" and 20 or 22 gauge wires for the feeders. The feeder wires from the track go to the "bus" wires which are connected to the transformer.  Joe

jbrock27

Re: gauge of the wire used: The size of the layout will dictate the gauge of the wire that is necessary.  A smaller layout will not require the heavier gauge wire.  This is something that has been debated before and I am sure can continue to be debated until the proverbial cows come home.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

When our club started in 1985, we used only #22. Fourteen blocks with four throttles. Our club president worked for the telephone company. Never ever any problems with DC operation. Most we had was two locos in a block. Major of the time was one loco.
When we went to DCC, we eventually went to #14 with #22 feeders.
Your choice if you never plan to go to DCC.
My home layout is still #22 with DCC. The feeders are the main issue.
I don't use sectional track so this makes it easier.

Rich

RAM

In to days world, the government makes companies spell out everything.  So let us please say power supply instead of transformers for DC power.

richg

Quote from: RAM on June 19, 2014, 02:21:44 PM
In to days world, the government makes companies spell out everything.  So let us please say power supply instead of transformers for DC power.

Minor details. lol

Rich

Doneldon

JT-

For most layouts -- anything smaller than a basement or a club layout -- you can use 16ga wire for your buss and anything from 18-24ga for your as-short-as-possible feeders. Sixteen gauge wire is like a lamp cord or a regular extension cord. In fact, an old extension cord without polarity prongs can make a great buss. It'll also be the cheapest thing you can use/buy. Be certain to maintain polarity, i.e., always feed each rail from only one wire. Stranded wire is easiest to use because it is much more flexible than single conductor wire. Also, it's generally easier to put in your multiple feeders while the layout is in the earliest stages of construction. Many modelers do their wiring while they lay track or immediately after. That lets them tip the layout on its side so they aren't crawling under their bench work and trying to do wiring, possibly including soldering, over their heads and faces.

Good luck with your project and please keep us up to date on your progress.
                                                                                                                    -- D

jward

i personally standardized on 18 guage for everything. it is small enough to fit against the side of a code 83 rail, yet large enough to have the conductivity required by dcc. i have used it on feeder wires of up to about 20 feet with no problems.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

When starting new, make an audible short detector. Been involved in model eailroading since the 1950's. Lost track on how many over the years did a lot of track laying only to find out there was a short, "somewhere".

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh-2012-03-mar/audible_short_detector

A simple ohm meter can be used. Some ohm meters have an audible alert if there is a short.

Rich