News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Screeching Hudson

Started by WGL, June 15, 2014, 02:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

I recently bought a used Rivarossi Hudson & a used Rivarossi Hudson Dreyfus to run on my DCC layout using address 00, which is designated for DC locomotives by my Digitrax Zephyr.  The Hudson screeches when I run it faster than low, 2.  The Hudson Dreyfus does not make noise at any speed.  I lubricated both locomotives before running them.  They came with no diagrams.  Might there be a part under the locomotive's shell that needs lubrication?  Is there any other possible cause for the noise?

Doneldon

WGL-

This board is paid for by Bachmann Trains and provided for questions and discussions about Bachmann products. The administrators are generally willing to tolerate questions about other manufacturers' goods as long as there is some link to Bachmann, for example, a difficulty running an Athearn locomotive with a Bachmann power pack.

In your case, I don't see anything about a Bachmann product so you are kind of out of bounds here. However, I can suggest to you that you have a malfunctioning locomotive which probably needs to be taken apart to see just what the problem is. I'm glad to hear that one of your Hudsons is working OK because, in my experience, Rivarossi equipment is something less than reliable.

Again, I suggest taking your noisy loco apart for a careful inspection. If you can't identify the source of the noise, do a search for help with Rivarossi products or a general help board. Try to be more specific about the nature of the noise. For example, does the sound change as speed changes, is the sound always present, can you tell if the sound is coming from a certain part of the loco, do you hear the sound if the loco is off of the tracks, does the sound change if the loco is pulling some cars, etc? The more explicit you can be in describing the sound, the more likely it is that someone will be able to help you.

Good luck with your investigation and in finding some help.
                                                                                           -- D

Desertdweller

I have had no experience with DCC, but a screeching sound is often caused by poor contact between motor brushes and commutator.  Try getting some electrical contact cleaner with a straw applicator, and spray a little on the commutator.  Let it get back to room temperature before running it.

Once I sprayed some on a Rivarossi motor while it was hot, and the cold cleaner caused the plastic motor case to break.

You might also check the motor brush spring tension.

This applies to all small motors, including Bachmann.

Les

WGL

Thanks Doneldon & Desertdweller for you suggestions.  The noise increases as the speed increases.  Maybe I can find a diagram on the Rivarossi website.  Maybe there is another website for model train hobbyists that is not tied to one brand.

bobwrgt

Inside the boiler is the front motor bearing that is probably dry. You will have to remove the boiler shell to get at it. Remove the cab handrails. There are 2 screws under the cab and one in the front under the front pilot truck. You might have to remove the pilot truck to get at it. The boiler should lift off. There is also a worm gear inside a cover that could use some grease and 2 bearing on the drive shaft. Not hard to do.
Did you put a drop of oil on each drive wheel axel shaft between the wheel and frame?

jward

when this locomotive screeches, does it run slower than the other? does it pull more current than the other (you'll probably have to run it on dc to measure the current)

seeing as how rivarossi locomotives are not made anymore, and a similar problem with screeching affected some of the older bachmann plus locomotives, i personally see nothing wrong with this question being posted here.

with the bachmann plus diesels, the screeching sound was often accompanied by sluggish and jerky running, and could be traced to a loose connection between the motor shaft and the worm gear. no amount of lubing in any location on the locomotive will solve that. you'd have to carefully epoxy the loose part to the shaft to prevent its slipping.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

JRG1951

If you need a diagram, you might try this web site.

http://www.hoseeker.net/lit.html

Regards John

Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich  people in poor countries. <> Douglas Case,

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon;
At the risk of getting tossed off of this board, two issues come to mind: 
1;  Is this board a forum for the public (albeit) to be on, and to post freely; if for no other reason, then to exercise the right of Free Speech.
2;  If it is, then the first amendment applies.  I cannot speak for you, nor will I.  I will speak for
every one I know that served in this country's military-myself included.  These rights-the Bill of rights-are the reason you can freely post here.  [We] paid for those rights, and so are entitled to them.-all of them.  If you did not serve in the Military, then to me, you fall into another category, and in my mind, these rights may not apply.  You see how this works?
If it is not, and I am wrong, I would like to hear a Bachmann rep say so; and If that is so, I will permanently excuse myself from this site.
Richard Cormier
former Ssgt USAF SAC   

AGSB

See this thread, http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,27850.0.html.
Quote from the Bachmann in that thread, "The forum is a place where our customers can contact with each other and discuss any and all topics relating to Bachmann products. It has been suggested in the past that we change the name and/or format but we think it is just fine the way it is." (My emphasis added.)

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the OP's question. Suggest you start a new thread if you wan to debate the issue. Then what does that have to do with Bachmann Trains?

Doneldon

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on June 16, 2014, 12:03:49 PM
Doneldon;
At the risk of getting tossed off of this board, two issues come to mind:  
1;  Is this board a forum for the public (albeit) to be on, and to post freely; if for no other reason, then to exercise the right of Free Speech.
2;  If it is, then the first amendment applies.  I cannot speak for you, nor will I.  I will speak for
every one I know that served in this country's military-myself included.  These rights-the Bill of rights-are the reason you can freely post here.  [We] paid for those rights, and so are entitled to them.-all of them.  If you did not serve in the Military, then to me, you fall into another category, and in my mind, these rights may not apply.  You see how this works?
If it is not, and I am wrong, I would like to hear a Bachmann rep say so; and If that is so, I will permanently excuse myself from this site.
Richard Cormier
former Ssgt USAF SAC  

Richard-

The policy on this site, if you read the Forum Code of Conduct, is that (paraphrased) it exists for Bachmann products and users. If you doubt that, click on the red link near the top of the page. I answered WGL's post the way I did to make it more likely that his post would not be removed. Surprised? Well, I was attempting to point out the policy and then go ahead with some response to his question in the hope that the Powers That Be would not automatically remove the out-of-bounds post since he had his error brought to his attention and then a board member offered some friendly advice. I'm glad to say that it appears to have worked although maybe the Powers would have let it slide without my intervention.

As for military service, sergeant, I am a retired disabled Viet Nam Era Commissioned Naval Officer.

Also, for your edification ... the Bill of Rights does most certainly NOT apply to the Bachmann Corporation's web site as it is the property of a private organization. Bachmann can make just about any rules they want here and we users have absolutely no right whatsoever to force them to change them. I think it would be a shame if you were to leave this board because of the Bachmann policies (which have been operative the whole time you've been on here) but that is your right. However, you contribute good information here and I would be sorry to see you go.

Oh, yes. I am also a historian and worked for many, many years in the legal field so I know as much about Bachmann's rights and the Bill of Rights as I need to be able to field your questions. Again, I do hope that you don't go away mad. That would be a loss for the rest of us here, and you.
                                                                                                                                                                                             -- D

WGL

Thanks, bobwrgt.  I'll try removing the shell & lubricating.  Thanks, JRG1951.  I followed your link & printed diagrams; I had to fill in a few details with my pen, because my printer did not print some of the diagram clearly.  The locomotive makes about as much noise running alone as when pulling several cars.  I don't notice sluggish or jerky running, but it appears that the wheels spin sometimes, not getting sufficient traction.

I have bought 4 Bachmann locomotives, a set of Bachmann Spectrum passenger cars, all new, & a Bachmann EZ Command DCC controller, if that means anything here when I request help on this forum.

WGL

I removed the shell, opened the worm gear cover & lubricated it.  Now, the locomotive doesn't run at all; even the light doesn't come on.
There is a black wire dangling loose from the shell with a perpendicular silver end; I don't know where that end attaches.  I am trying to attach a photo, but am told that the uploader folder is full.

jbrock27

I don't ever see the need for any member to have to post a reminder that this a Bachmann administered forum or that it is train forum for that matter, of course it is to both!  That's not a member's role and is overstepping in my view.  I say let The Overlords do their job and let them decide what stays and what goes.  They hold the unilateral power to determine this, regardless of what any member posts.  
In the meantime, members can chose to respond to someone's question regardless of what it pertains to, or not.  It's all very simple.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon;
No problem, and I a glad this thread only went pretty much between you and I-as I had wished.
Back to the problem:  I do keep my word, though.  IMHO, no loss to Bachmann.
I am wondering that if you disassembled it and took a good look at the moving parts for either excessive wear or discoloration, that might help towards determining what is going on.
Rich C.

jward

that loose wire is why your locomotive will no longer run. you must have broken it off while removing the boiler. it should be easy to determine where it goes by setting it on a loose piece of track, then putting one lead of an ohmmeter on the wire and the other end on one of the rails. i suspect, this wire have broken off the wheel contact strip you should get a very high reading from the wire to one rail. i would then look for a contact strip behind the wheels on that side that you could solder the wire to.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA