News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Free DVOMs available

Started by Joe Satnik, August 17, 2014, 05:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

We've always said that modelers should have a Volt-Ohm Meter for troubleshooting. 

Can't beat free. 

Look for a coupon from Harbor Freight in your newspaper. 

Nothing else to buy, while supplies last.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

richg

I have had three of those for some years. I keep one in the car.
Getting one for my girlfriend. Harbour Freight about 12 miles from me.
The only complaints I have seen in other forums are from those who do not use these meters and insist on a $200.00 meter.
All three of mine are very close to my one expensive meter.
Guess how much to replace these meters if you inadvertently burn one out? They are fuse protected.
http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_Workshop/index.htm
http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_HF/index.htm

There is no good reason to not have at least one. Only excuses.

Except for no AC amps measuring, it does everything else really well.
My NCE Power Cab has a 13.9 VDC power supply. The DCC voltage shows about 13.6 VAC at the rails with one loco with decoder. Close enough.
I made a couple DCC amp meters using one of these meters. Two special three terminal SMD's and a few other components were all I needed. Around ten dollars total.

Rich

CNE Runner

In this day and age, I don't know how anyone can have a layout without a multimeter...especially at the regular price of the less expensive Harbor Freight model. I have one of the better quality Harbor Freight multimeters in our motor home (ALWAYS check those campground power stanchions before plugging in...don't ask) and one of these freebies in the train room. I don't know what a model railroader needs with a $200 multimeter.

Thanks for taking the time to alert us to the Harbor Freight giveaway.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"