News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Future of Spectrum Steam

Started by Irbricksceo, June 20, 2014, 05:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

In the past few years, we have seen many a model removed from the spectrum line, either moved to standard as was the 2-8-0, or dropped completely like the mountains, pacific, mikados, and Decapods. I have to wonder, is this a trend? at the moment spectrum s limited to very small Locomotives, and Very large ones. Their most recent Standard line Locomotives weren't bad, As an owner of the standard 2-8-0 and 2-8-4, They are pretty nice, but I hope we see Spectrum Return to steam.

I have to wonder if anybody has heard a rumor, I know that many modelers would love some of the harder Locomotives to find such as NYC Hudsons, 4-4-2's, Maybe even a C&O 4-8-4 greenbreier (that one might just be me). Regardless of the model, I think many of us here can agree, a return to more accessible Steam Locomotives from the spectrum line would be well loved.
Modeling NYC in N

jonathan

Well... on the other hand, who would have thought anyone would offer the EM-1 I.in plastic?  Or a Spectrum saddle tanker?  I love the Spectrum mountains, but I still see new ones at train shows. I'm sure there are business concerns we don't consider.  For instance, I would love to see a Spectrum mikado, other folks have made something similar. Too much conflict ing business if you will.

Ok the smart phone is making me write stupidly.

Regards

Jonathan

Doneldon

Irbrick-

I'm not so sure that things are as gloomy as you seem to think. For example, moving Spectrum models to the standard line isn't really a loss. In fact, I think you can make a case that it's a good thing if you look it as evidence of improvement in the standard line rather than a loss from the Spectrum level locos.

Over the years -- and I've been doing this train stuff for a LOT of years -- I've noticed that things tend to run in cycles. An important reason, I think, is that manufacturers just cannot put a model on the street and then continue to manufacture and inventory it forever. Throw in customers' changing interests, each company's need to differentiate itself from the competition (How loudly would we all gripe if every loco manufacturer came out with the same two or three models?) and their need to have affordable merchandise which they can actually sell and I think it's easy to understand why it can take a while before that particular steam engine (or whatever) we've been pining for shows up on the shelf at the LHS. Assuming we're lucky enough to actually have an LHS. The alternative would be insanely high prices and I don't think any of us wants to see that.

-- D

jward

manufacturers wouldn't all offer the same models now would they? i mean, it's not like every manufacturer of consequence has or had an emd f unit in their catalogue.......

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BaltoOhioRRfan

a nicely detailed 4-4-2 wouldn't be bad. I could use another one,

Camel backs wouldn't be bad eather, or a HO scale Forny,
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Irbricksceo on June 20, 2014, 05:57:18 PM
I know that many modelers would love some of the harder Locomotives to find such as NYC Hudsons.

Hard to find? Why they're practically everywhere :-X The last thing we need is more hudsons that have been done to death.

As I recall though, Bachmann is supposedly going to have an announcement this July on some big new product for the HO Steam lone and I'm rooting for what a lot of guys have been waiting for, Harriman Mikes and Pacifics

rogertra

My loco buying days have practically come to an end, I have 50 odd steam and diesel and really can't justify buying anymore.  The cost of converting all the engines to DCC with sound is going to be bad enough.

However, I only have two each of the Athearn Genesis 2-8-2s and 4-6-2s, you know, the ones their advertising quietly fails to mention as being part of the Genesis range?

So, there is the possibility of two more 2-8-2s and 4-6-2s, providing they are not obviously prototype road specific.

Cheers

Roger T.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Not to incure the wrath of the Harriman locomotive fans on the forums as I tend to when people start saying what they would like to see, if Bachmann is going to announce a new steam engine in HO scale, I would like to see something from the Milwaukee Road (Milwaukee Road S3 #261 and there are people out there who agree someone should make an affordable version of this engine in HO scale), the Northern Pacific (Q3 4-6-2 #2156 or #2153 and S10 4-6-0 #328) or something new from the DM&IR like an M3 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone.

ALCO0001

Quote from: jward on June 20, 2014, 10:48:43 PM
manufacturers wouldn't all offer the same models now would they? i mean, it's not like every manufacturer of consequence has or had an emd f unit in their catalogue.......

Seems like there has been a little competition between makers like with the Big Boy, Gas turbines, DDA 40X,sd 45, sd70 ish sd40-2 and so on and I believe that is great! Really it is for the customer since it shows that they do have some competitive spirit on who can build the best model and sometimes for the best price runs as part of the equation also !Great time to be in the game!
Jack

PaulGWR

What about the Santa Fe & Milwakee 4-4-2's or the Y6 to go along with the J class, maybe even a New York  Central H10a Mikado.

GN.2-6-8-0

Spectrum steam I. Believe is in the past. The EM1 is a standard line loco and just look at it absoluty beautiful!
like rogertra i pretty much have all I really desire although like MRF261 I would love to have a model of a Milwaukee Road S3 simply because I remember seeing one of those beauty's as a child In The early 50s.
Rocky Lives

richg

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on July 20, 2014, 05:09:02 PM
Spectrum steam I. Believe is in the past. The EM1 is a standard line loco and just look at it absoluty beautiful!
like rogertra i pretty much have all I really desire although like MRF261 I would love to have a model of a Milwaukee Road S3 simply because I remember seeing one of those beauty's as a child In The early 50s.

Looks like Sound Value is the "in" thing right now but Bachmann does have a habit of changing things.

Rich

Bucksco

GN.2-6-8-0

Rocky Lives