News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wellington, Washington.

Started by RAM, June 20, 2014, 12:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

My daughter took me up to Wellington Washington today.  It is very interesting. The trail markers tell about the operation of the switch back, the tunnel , the engine house, water tower and coal tower.  We walked thought the snow shad and read the history of Wellington.  It is worth you time to see it if you are ever inthat part of Washington.  Do a Google search of Wellington Washington.

bapguy

The GN used switch backs to get over Stevens Pass. After the disaster at Wellington, where an avalanche pushed a passing train over the cliff, the Cascade tunnel was put in. There are still parts of the wreck in the woods. A book was written about it. Good reading.  Joe

RAM

The switch back was gone and the first tunnel had been built by the time of the disaster.

bapguy

You're right. I think you can still see some of the switchbacks from the highway. Amtrak, I believe, schedules the Empire Builder to go through the area during daylight. I wish they would have done that in the mid 70's when I took Amtrak from western Montana to Seattle!!! Have to make it up there one of these days and do train watching on the western  tunnel portal.   Joe