HELP still needed/Asking once again re; pilot snap on.

Started by MarkInLA, June 24, 2014, 09:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

Hi. How does the 'switching'-type pilot attach to the HO 'Modern 4-4-0' pilot beam ? The 2 cow catcher types don't look right to me and so will settle for the 'switching', pilot step-type. Problem: Do the 2 single pilot straps remain while still adding switching pilot, equaling 4 hangers in total ? And, 'switching' pilot will not snap into holes and so falls out... What am I missing here ?   .........Thanks, Mark

richg

Quote from: MarkInLA on June 24, 2014, 09:41:44 PM
Hi. How does the 'switching'-type pilot attach to the HO 'Modern 4-4-0' pilot beam ? The 2 cow catcher types don't look right to me and so will settle for the 'switching', pilot step-type. Problem: Do the 2 single pilot straps remain while still adding switching pilot, equaling 4 hangers in total ? And, 'switching' pilot will not snap into holes and so falls out... What am I missing here ?   .........Thanks, Mark

Look at the parts diagram. I just did. Looks quite clear.

Rich

MarkInLA

Rich, thanks for reply. Not home right now, but last night I tried again to get switching pilot onto pilot beam. What is it I don't get ? It won't land flush, remaining a smidge away from beam. That is, it will not snap securely onto beam. It wobbles and falls off.

Doneldon

Quote from: MarkInLA on June 25, 2014, 04:35:40 PM
last night I tried again to get switching pilot onto pilot beam.? It won't land flush, remaining a smidge away from beam. That is, it will not snap securely onto beam. It wobbles and falls off.

Mark-

Look closely at the end of that piece and the hole where it is supposed to go. You might want to use a little magnification. Do the hole and the male piece both look undamaged? If so, you might not be pushing hard enough to seat the pilot. Sometimes that's because a modeler fears breaking the parts but it can also be (especially with very small parts) that our fingers are just too big to get the force where it is needed. You might find that a forceps can put force where it's needed. Perhaps a tiny drop of water will lubricate the insertion. If there is some damage, decide if a little filing or reaming will sufficiently reshape the inserted part or the mounting hole. Be aware that you may need glue to hold the parts together once you've worked on them. Don't let that intimidate you.

May the force be with you. Good luck!
                                                             -- D

MarkInLA

I have tried with tweezers to squeeze pilot against beam.. It will not land. I don't think I should have to now do some drilling or reaming when I've already lost my 2-8-0 to Bach repair for this, a replacement for, the time and money over this $45+ $15 shipping...Finally, I thought loco came with a shovel or plow pilot. Not in box....

richg

Hi. How does the 'switching'-type pilot attach to the HO 'Modern 4-4-0' pilot beam ? The 2 cow catcher types don't look right to me and so will settle for the 'switching', pilot step-type. Problem: Do the 2 single pilot straps remain while still adding switching pilot, equaling 4 hangers in total ? And, 'switching' pilot will not snap into holes and so falls out... What am I missing here ?   .........Thanks, Mark

Forgot to mention. A tiny dab of adhesive on each pin will work.
I would use a tiny dab of RTV on the tip of a tooth pick. That way you can remove the pilot with a sharp Xacto knife.

Ricch

MarkInLA

Yes, but they are supposed to snap in place. Mine don't even land flush with beam. Either the holes are wrong or the pins are wrong, switcher pilot hangers are not up against beam. Yet cow catcher type I is on beam in box but looks too small for this engine.. ..

ALCO0001

Quote from: richg on June 24, 2014, 10:50:16 PM
Hi. How does the 'switching'-type pilot attach to the HO 'Modern 4-4-0' pilot beam ? The 2 cow catcher types don't look right to me and so will settle for the 'switching', pilot step-type. Problem: Do the 2 single pilot straps remain while still adding switching pilot, equaling 4 hangers in total ? And, 'switching' pilot will not snap into holes and so falls out... What am I missing here ?   .........Thanks, Mark

Look at the parts diagram. I just did. Looks quite clear.

Rich
Rich ,He would not be asking for this ,but an answer to the question.
Jack

ALCO0001

Hello, the answer is to remove the coupler, make sure the holes are completely clear of the old pins from the old pilet,deburr the pins from the pilot u chose.The accuracy of the parts and holes is suspect.The ones I HAD ARE VERY NICE ,BUT THE BUILDER OF THE DAY WAS A LITTLE SLOPPY WITH THE GLUE AND TRIMMING FLASHING,SO working on something after a butcher worked on it can be more difficult then it should,and u will need magnification to do this work even with perfect vision as insurance and watch out for those steps they break real easy!
Jack

richg

Just posted a link to a company that sells brass parts in the TrainBoard forum. Can't post the link here.

Rich