A significant Frustration, is there any hope?

Started by Irbricksceo, July 04, 2014, 02:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Hey all, so, in spite of all warnings against it compared to newer systems, I purchased an EZ command system, brand new and everything. Well, I plugged it in today as usual, same setup and everything, and the power light flashed once, turned off, and I smelled the trademark electronically burn smell we all know too well. I have had this item for all of 36 days, not even a month and a half, is there any hope for it? I know in truth the answer is no but I couldn't let this go without asking...
Modeling NYC in N

ACY

All accessories, power packs and speed controllers, and Plasticville USA® items are covered for 90 days. However if you did not follow the instructions which appears to be the case, the warranty is null and void. It sounds like you plugged everything in, in the incorrect order which it states in the manual to avoid doing. But, if this is not the case then you may be able to mail it to the service department for repair or replacement, in any case it couldn't hurt to give them a call.

richg

The EZ Command is pretty simple. Sounds like a short in the track wiring but the system should have tripped before any damage. All DCC systems have short protection.
I would get your ohm meter out and check for a short in the track wiring.

Question that begs asking. Which EZ Command system? Bachmann sells two different ones.

Rich

union pacific 4014

mine did the same thing i need to send it for repair

richg

From the manual.

What happens when I overload my system?

If you overload your E-Z Command® system or a short occurs the 'stop' led and address '1' led will flash rapidly.  This tells you that a short has occurred.  After a short period of time a built in protection circuit will cut power to the unit.  For additional safety it is best to remove power from the system.  When the short is removed and the unit cools down the system will resume operation.

Did you remove the power and allow the unit to cool down?

Did you troubleshoot the layout or continue to try to run a loco?

Rich

Irbricksceo

First of all, its the basic unit.

It isn't a short, not the same response plus I took my multi meter along the rails.

It wasn't an overload as, at the time, only One locomotive was on active track
I let it sit for 8 hours and tried again, no dice.

It would appear that something inside the unit died. I didn't know it was covered still, thought it was 30 days. I might have to send it in although, to be honest, I'm still not sure if I want to keep it after getting it repaired or shelve it and upgrade to another system. In the mean time, I suppose I will revert to DC.

Thanks for you suggestions. Now I only hope shipping isn't too bad!

P.S. Does anybody know, Since I bought it with the 0-6-0 Locomotive, do I have to send that back too or can it just be the unit itself
Modeling NYC in N