News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question for Sound CV's

Started by Irbricksceo, July 08, 2014, 09:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Hey there, So, I am thinking I want to convert One of my Locomotives to sound, Although I haven't decided which one (I am leaning towards the SY 2-8-2 if I can fit a speaker in that tiny tender), one thing is very important to me if I go ahead with this. Can the Chuff rate be matched to the revolutions within reason? I know it seems small but I am bothered by models without proper chuff rates synced to the revolutions. I would be Using a Micro Tsunami or Regular Tsunami Depending on which Locomotive I choose, Is there a CV that adjusts and does it compensate well for grades and loads?
Modeling NYC in N

Hunt

If you choose to use SoundTraxx decoder,  they recommend

Model                       Decoder Model                   Decoder Part #     Speaker/ Baffle Kit #
SY 2-8-2 Mikado       TSU-1000 Medium Steam     826102               810054/ 810110

Click Here for PDF of the Tsunami Steam Sound User's Guide. Read Exhaust Control info starting on Page 44.

Hunt

Irbricksceo

Thanks for the Information, that should work fine. I am a bit skeptical about that decoder though, I have never done a sound installation myself and need to learn the process ( seem to recall somebody doing a great guide on installing to an 8 socket somewhere, guess its search time) But if you have looked at the SY, the tender is Tiny, the stock Bachmann Decoder and Board Takes up almost all of the space as it is. I find it hard to believe I can fit the larger decoder and Speaker in there around that board.
Modeling NYC in N

bapguy

Soundtraxx Also makes a cam to synchronize the chuffs. It's installed on the inside of one of the drivers. There's a wire off the decoder that connects to the wiper on the cam. If you don't want to go this route, there's a cv for adjusting the chuff rate.  Joe 

richg

Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 09, 2014, 01:31:14 AM
Thanks for the Information, that should work fine. I am a bit skeptical about that decoder though, I have never done a sound installation myself and need to learn the process ( seem to recall somebody doing a great guide on installing to an 8 socket somewhere, guess its search time) But if you have looked at the SY, the tender is Tiny, the stock Bachmann Decoder and Board Takes up almost all of the space as it is. I find it hard to believe I can fit the larger decoder and Speaker in there around that board.

Here is the diagram from the HO Seeker site.

http://www.hoseeker.org/assemblyexplosionbachmann/bachmann282dccequippedchina.jpg

Below is a link that shows you how to connect the Tsunami to the eight pin plug. You can also cut the wires shorter and solder them to a plug and insert that plug into the socket.

www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/soundtraxx/tsunami.htm

You can install the speaker up in the coal load and drill a bunch of tiny holes in the coal load. use a baffle. Cover with a thin layer of dilute white glue and coal dust.
Measure twice, cut once.

Rich

Bucksco

SoundTraxx makes a wire harness that will adapt a 9-Pin JST to NMRA 8-Pin Wiring Harness. it is SoundTraxx item number 810135
http://www.soundtraxx.com/access/wiring.php

richg

Quote from: Yardmaster on July 10, 2014, 08:21:34 AM
SoundTraxx makes a wire harness that will adapt a 9-Pin JST to NMRA 8-Pin Wiring Harness. it is SoundTraxx item number 810135
http://www.soundtraxx.com/access/wiring.php

For those who did not read the link I provide, SoundTraxx allows cutting back the shrink just enough to remove the nine pin connector. This saves having to solder the seven wires to a eight pin plug.

Rich

Irbricksceo

Thanks for all that. I think, What I will do, is find the dimensions of the decoder and speaker, and what it will take to make the speaker stay still, make a drawing of the tender, and try to see if it would fit around the PCB in the tender. If so, I'll go ahead. If not, well, I have more Locomotives.
Modeling NYC in N

WoundedBear

Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 09, 2014, 01:31:14 AM

Why wouldn't you then just rip out the OEM boards and start from there? You'll find you have way more space for the new hardware than you first thought. This has been my approach to the problem and it works.

Tiny tenders.....too funny......have a look at a Spectrum 2 truck Climax and think what it took to get sound in that.

Good luck with what ever route you choose.

Sid

richg

Quote from: Irbricksceo on July 10, 2014, 12:02:51 PM
Thanks for all that. I think, What I will do, is find the dimensions of the decoder and speaker, and what it will take to make the speaker stay still, make a drawing of the tender, and try to see if it would fit around the PCB in the tender. If so, I'll go ahead. If not, well, I have more Locomotives.

DCC companies and online companies that sell the items show the specs you require.
If you do hardwire, a small piece of Vero board is very good for solder splicing decoder and leads in the tender. I have done that in a couple diesels. I bought a small supply of Vero PC board from a UK supplier via ebay. Cost less than $10.00. With wire to wire splicing, you need shrink tubing over each splice. I have done that but the Vero board made it much easier, especially if a resistor or two is needed for LED's.

Rich