Bachmann Spectrum USRA LIght 2-10-2 W/Sound "Stopped Running".

Started by jimmlat, July 12, 2014, 06:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmlat

I have a Bachmann Spectrum (Item #83804) HO USRA Light 2-10-2 w/Sound. I have had it for a few years but I hardly run it at all. Today I put in on my layout for a quick run and it started to run fine but then "stopped" for no apparent reason. It still has all the sounds and the light works, but it won't run in forward or reverse. I disconnected the "Plug Ins" from the Tender that connect to the rear of the Locomotive and cleaned them with electronics contact cleaner in case there was some "Dirt" on the points but it still won't run. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Engine is an older one but is just like new. As I said I do not run it much at all. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks! 

richg

With DCC, any issues, do a decoder reset. CV8, enter 8.
What happens now?

Rich

rogertra

Download and install Decoder Pro 3 and check all your CV settings.

You should also read this as you may need to purchase hardware to enable JMRI/Decoder Pro3 to talk to your programming track.

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/hardware/USBtoSerial.shtml

jimmlat

Rich,
This is actually all new to me. I have an Analog system.  About 2 year ago I bought the MRC Tech 6, 2.0 Controller. I can run either DC or DCC Locomotives w/sound. My other DCC Sound Loco's run well. But I don't know much about DCC so I can you explain a little more on how to do this reset? Can I do it from the controller? Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Jimmy

richg

Quote from: jimmlat on July 12, 2014, 07:57:15 PM
Rich,
This is actually all new to me. I have an Analog system.  About 2 year ago I bought the MRC Tech 6, 2.0 Controller. I can run either DC or DCC Locomotives w/sound. My other DCC Sound Loco's run well. But I don't know much about DCC so I can you explain a little more on how to do this reset? Can I do it from the controller? Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Jimmy

You need a DCC controller to reset decoders.
Also, rogertra  has a good suggestion.

Rich

Irbricksceo

You will not be able to do a reset as CV's are programmed with a DCC system. There should be a jumper plug in the box somewhere, It will look either like a small rectangle with 6 metal pins or two small metal things with three points.  Open the tender, unplug the decoder, and Plug in the Jumper. Then test, if the Locomotive moves, the Issue is probably within the Decoder, if not, its In the engine itself.
Modeling NYC in N

jimmlat

The controller I have By MRC can run either DCC or DC Loco's. There are 2 different modes. According to the instructions that came with the controller I should be able to set the Loco back to factory settings or program the CV's. I tried both but it's still the same. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, but it's still the same. I may have to call MRC and get there input.

jbrock27

So "today" on this site is July 12th, but "today" for your same question on the MRR site is July 13th?  Did you not receive an acceptable answer here?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jimmlat

Because I tried everything and although they were logical answers, nothing worked. I thought that someone who does not read this site but does read MRR had a different idea. Is that good?

jbrock27

Whatever works I guess.  
One of the individuals who provided you an answer here, also posts quite a bit over there.  Maybe you will even get the same answer from him over there.
Good luck.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: jimmlat on July 13, 2014, 10:53:58 AM
Because I tried everything and although they were logical answers, nothing worked. I thought that someone who does not read this site but does read MRR had a different idea. Is that good?

I assume you did the below?

As on the Blackbox, the Tech 6 Sound Controller 2.0 operating in the "Dual" mode depends on the locomotive motor / sound decoder's address being set to address 03. This is the address set at the factory, so is not a problem for basic operation. If a locomotive has been programmed to a different address, the Sound Controller can reset it to address 03 by simply pressing pushbuttons Shift, 9, 9. However, doing this resets ALL of the decoder CVs to their factory values. DCC operators who have programmed different bells and whistles or motor curves will want to reset the address using their DCC system to avoid losing these other CV values.

Rich

jimmlat

Rich,
Yes I did that a few times. I'm starting to believe it may be the Locomotive, because all the sounds and lights work fine. I also tried the CV8, 8.
Jimmy

Irbricksceo

Alright, moving fowards with that Idea, first things first, turn up the throttle, does the motor make any noise?
Modeling NYC in N

richg

Quote from: jimmlat on July 14, 2014, 11:55:59 AM
Rich,
Yes I did that a few times. I'm starting to believe it may be the Locomotive, because all the sounds and lights work fine. I also tried the CV8, 8.
Jimmy

Install the DC Adapter. If the loco runs ok on DC then I would say a defective decoder. About the best we can suggest without a DCC controller.

Rich

Bucksco

Check for motor noise. Sounds like it could be a gear or drive belt issue.