News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

*sigh*

Started by Kevin Strong, July 18, 2014, 01:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Strong

http://www.bachmannindustriesinc.com/pdf/NMRA_2014.pdf

Feeling a bit underwhelmed this morning with the "new releases" from the NMRA show: a repainted 1876 Mogul with new electronics (and hopefully new gears). I'm sure it's gonna look great--the E&P 4-4-0 is beautiful. But given the impression I got from talking to Bachmann at a show back in March, I was expecting something a bit more.

If it's any consolation, fellow large scalers, pay attention to which scale isn't even on the release. At least we get new paint (oh, and 2' radius switches.)

Later,

K

vic

That's interesting about the On30, no doubt their will be much gnashing of teeth in that crowd. But in fairness they have gotten and almost obscene amount of new items over the last few years so its no surprise they've probably reached a certain saturation point.

There is no mention in the release what the turnout's diameter will be, I will be absolutely gobsmacked if its R1, because I keep getting told over and over and over again that R1 is dead or dying and that 8'D is now ruling the roost from now on. But that price tag sure doesn't match what the 8 footers are going for.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy up some more Lil Haulers (while I can) and bash'em if i want anything interesting from here on out

Kevin Strong

They're calling it an 1100, which is LGB's code for 2' radius. That, and looking at the way the stock rail curves away from the point rail, there's no way that's a 4' radius switch.

Later,

K

Chuck N

K.

I agree, it is disappointing. 

I will buy Spectrum engines and cars, but they have to be in my NG era.  My preference is early to mid-20th century.  I'm not into 19th century engines and cars.  I converted my original red and green LGB Mogul to a black coal burner, with a straight stack and rounded domes, which was more to my taste.  Unfortunately, they came out with a more modern version about the time I finished my conversion. 

I visit a lot of garden railroads, and I don't see many, correct that to none, layouts with 1880 engines and cars.  I'm sure they must be out there, but I haven't seen them.

Bring on different Ks.

Chuck

tac

Chuck - there ARE earlier than 1880's models out there, but they are pricey Baldwin 4-4-0 live-steamers and a Mason bogie, or electrics made by Bachmann and HLR. 

tac

Chuck N

TAC, I know they are available out there, but I just don't see anyone running them.  So I'm left wondering if there is a market for them.

Chuck

bob kaplan

Beautiful engines....but I wish they has modernized them a bit..new cab, domes, and new headlight would allow them a bit more compatibility with the Connie, the C-19, Forney, shays, climax, and 2-6-6-2...perhaps.  Certainly hope new gearing goes along with the electronics.

Chris PRR

I was hoping for something new in 1:29. When talking to my local hobby shop owner here on Long Island, I was told the trolley was selling very well. I would like to see Bachmann do their Baldwin Sharks in 1:29.

Kevin Strong

Bachmann, can you tell us whether the drive of the 2-6-0 has been updated with brass gears and/or if there are other mechanical changes as we've seen with previous re-introductions like the Climax?

Later,

K