News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C 19/LGB switches

Started by bob kaplan, July 20, 2014, 02:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

When my C19s exits an LGB 16000 switch from the diverging route, the blind drivers short at the frog.   No big problem.  i have place a very short piece of theatrical spiking tape on the straight rail.   But after a period of time and with track cleaning the tape must be replaced.   Anyone else have this problem with the engine and LGB 16000 switches...  Have you come up with a more permanent solution?

Kevin Strong

The issue is that the tread of the blind drivers is (prototypically) wider than the "normal" wheels, so the outside edge of the driver is momentarily touching the "other" rail as it comes into the frog, shorting it out. The wider tread width makes them much less prone to roll off the railhead when going around curves, so it's a "good thing/bad thing" kinda situation.

The tape is a good solution, but a more permanent solution might be to grind down the top or outside edge of the rail so it doesn't come in contact with the outside edge of the C-19's blind drivers. If you grind it at an angle, so the inside edge where the wheel rides is still even with the frog, you shouldn't notice much of a "bump" as the cars roll through.

Of course, you could always convert to battery.  ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Later,

K

bob kaplan

The layout is an "in the basement" thing....kind of small in terms of large scale and rail current does fine for the most part...and I seem to have a thing for all Bachmann engines...they, like potato chips, are addicting...when they go on big time sale, I just seem to buy another...and it would get expensive converting all of them...'cause I do like to run them  ;D

Your suggesting of grinding the rail near the frog sound interesting.   Can you foresee it causing problems with other engines.     For example i have had trouble with the spectrum 2-6-0...you know the "new engine" they are just repainting...dropping the center driver off the railhead as it passes through a switch's diverging route and kind of binding as it tries to work it way up to the head again as it passes the switch.
Thanks for your help Kevin.
bob

Kevin Strong

It shouldn't. You're grinding the outside edge of the railhead, so it's not where the treads of the wheels typically ride, anyway.

On the 2-6-0, I'm presuming you've dropped the "pin plate" off of the center axle. You may want to try adding spacers between the eccentric cranks and the bearing blocks to reduce the side-to-side play in the center driver. That'll keep it centered better over the rails, reducing its tendency to roll off and drop below the railhead. If I recall, I used thin slices of a Bic pen barrel as a spacer.

Later,

K

bob kaplan

Thanks for you suggestions Kevin.   It is appreciated.
bob