News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turnouts ?

Started by union pacific 4014, July 08, 2014, 09:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 4014

what  turnouts  would you use  if you  where running a 4-8-4s ?

Doneldon

4014-

I'd like to use nothing smaller than No. 6 turnouts, though I guess they'll handle No. 4 if the speed is kept within reason.
                                                                                                                                                                                           -- D

Irbricksceo

It depends largely on the Model, Different Manufacturers Make different Models with different tolerances for curves and turnouts. The Largest Locomotive I currently run, the Bachmann 2-8-4, Will handle #5 turnouts and 18 inch curves, these are the tightest I've tested on it, as well as an older 4-8-4 from the Days when Locomotives did 0 OR 400MPH

Bachmann and Athearn Models Tend to have greater tolerances, Though I agree that a #6 would be better, a #5 should be fine, I don't know about a #4, never tried or seen it. If you are using other manufactures, especially High end Brass, The tolerances on those Locomotives are usually much lower and you will not be able to go below #6 for many of them, in some cases that will be tight too.
Modeling NYC in N

trainmainbrian

Quote from: union pacific 4014 on July 08, 2014, 09:22:37 PM
what  turnouts  would you use  if you  where running a 4-8-4s ?

Steam Loco's need a fairly large turnout than diesel loco's... I had 2 Steam Locos for my 16ft long x 6ft wide HO DCC layout... I wound up giving my Steam Loco's to my Local train hobby shop to sell on consignment... My Steam Loco's would bind up around my turn's... I built my Layout turnouts for my diesel loco's... So just make sure to make your turn outs pretty large...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Santa Fe buff

As you already know, #5 and #6 are your good choices.

I would be careful if you have 18 degree radius curves as well!

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Jhanecker2

The  4-8-4  UP overland  requires   22"  radius  curves as a minimum . John2.

union pacific 4014

yes they do  Jhanecker2 i have 4-8-4's and none of them like 18'' radius  curves i run all 22'' radius  curves i plan on making a bigger layout and run 34''radius  curves

ebtbob

Good Morning all,

I have never had much luck with larger engines like a 4-8-4 on any turnout smaller than a #6 unless it was articulated.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

rogertra

Quote from: ebtbob on July 20, 2014, 09:56:54 AM
Good Morning all,

I have never had much luck with larger engines like a 4-8-4 on any turnout smaller than a #6 unless it was articulated.

I agree.  But then again I don't use anything smaller than a number six switch, except  a number 3 wye but that's the same as a number six anyway.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.