News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

44565 and 44566 turnouts

Started by Penn1974, August 21, 2015, 03:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn1974

I am starting to lay my track and I have several of the above turnouts. When reading the package it talks about polarizing the metal frog. Should I do this automatically to avoid a problem down the road in case I use a short locomotive so to avoid taking the turnout back out the the layout? The layout for now is DC.

Hunt

Its is your call.

Polarizing the frog is necessary to run short locomotives.   Damage to locomotive or decoder may occur  if you change to DCC control and experience short circuit in the turnout.

To help you decide -  Set up temporary section of track without the frog polarized and test run all your locomotives on it.

Penn1974

What would some examples of short locomotives be in steam and diesel>

Hunt

The issue is the number and position of working electrical pickups.  Are the pickups such that they don't span the length of the dead frog, thus losing all electrical pickup from one rail?

Penn1974

Understand about the pickup. Would I cause any harm by polarizing the turnouts as a matter of fact instead of having to take them up since I currently am DC but will be switching to DCC and do not know what kind of loco power I will be purchasing? Thank you Hunt.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Penn1974 on September 05, 2015, 10:55:59 AM
Would I cause any harm by polarizing the turnouts as a matter of fact instead of having to take them up since I currently am DC but will be switching to DCC and do not know what kind of loco power I will be purchasing?
The only problem when I polarized my frogs was in the yard. I for the life of me could not figure out why it would short when I threw the SWITCH. I have since then removed all frog wiring (depolarizing them) and have not had any problems thus far. I have as small as the 0-6-0 (one 0-6-0 has no pickup's in the tender which would help if needed) to the SD70ACE and plenty in between and have not had a pickup issue yet.
Hope this helps.
Jerry

Hunt

Quote from: Penn1974 on September 05, 2015, 10:55:59 AM
Understand about the pickup. Would I cause any harm by polarizing the turnouts as a matter of fact instead of having to take them up since I currently am DC but will be switching to DCC and do not know what kind of loco power I will be purchasing? Thank you Hunt.

Penn1974, to power or not power the frog is your call.

Powering the frog in a Bachmann turnout is not recommended by Bachmann when the turnout is used in a DCC powered layout.

Penn1974

Thanks to Jerrys HO and Hunt. I will not polarize the turnouts.