Need guidance w/ TE #5490 on-board installation in a Spectrum Mogul...Pleeeaase.

Started by Ladder72, September 24, 2007, 02:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladder72

Hello everyone - I used the search link but was unable to find anything helpful (may not have used the correct combo of keywords?)
I was lucky enough to find a used Aristo TE 27mhz.on board receiver. I want to install it in my mogul but would like some pointers/pictures or guidance. I have installed all of my own sound systems in my Spectrums so I hope it will not be too difficult, but I would like to hear from those of you who have installed them before in these locos so I might avoid mistakes. (It took me 2 years to find this unit - Yes, I am very excited!)
Thanks for your time, Trent Kaufman

GAM

Hi Ladder72, I have two 27 mhzs installed in Big Haulers. Nothing to it. Find the wires from the track pickup to the motor. Cut these wires and run the wires to the RC unit and run wires from the RC unit back to the motor. String your antenna and your done. One thing be very careful about is when you string the antenna is that it does not cross itself.
good kuck
GAM

piercedan

Place the receiver in the tender so as to get it far away from motor noise.

Wrap the antenna around the inside top of the tender, better yet, change it to a shorter black -kat antenna.

Ladder72

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Do I understand from your post that if I were to install it in the loco I would have problems with motor "noise" affecting the controls? I dont believe there is enough room left in the tenders after the sound board installs...HELP ???

GAM

Hi Ladder 72, I installed a 27 mgz receiver,a sierra sound card and a an Aristo aux control in the tender of a Centennial so you should have room.
good luck
GAM

Dan Love

The 5490 should be bench checked first to find out reliable  distance.

A 100 ohm 10 watt resistor from Radio Shack can be used for the load.

Motor noise shows up when the locomotive is on the track.

RCS sells several different modules for EMI.

You can put the 5490 where you want.
Black Kat is for  75 Mhz.
E Cubed R/C makes one for 27Mhz too.

Dan