News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco S4 upgrade

Started by bapguy, July 21, 2014, 08:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bapguy

I bought an S4 lettered for the Northern Pacific and added a sound decoder and some details to. I used the speaker enclosure that came with the DCC ready loco, but was not happy with the sound. I bought from Bachmann the speaker and enclosure used on the sound value S4. I had to modify it by cutting a rectangle hole in the top front of it to clear the resister for the headlight. Even with this the sound was improved greatly. The volume for the prime mover is set to around 70. I still have some touch up paint and weathering to do. The bell is close to what was on the prototype. I added an antenna to the cab roof, grab irons on the left side in front of the cab and on the right side of the front.   Joe

bapguy

This one didn't post.  Joe

jonathan

bapguy,

Nice job, indeed.  I found the shell was too confining for the sound on the S-2 (basically the same loco).  I removed half of the side windows and added crew figures.  This opened up the shell a bit and let more of the sound out--greatly improved the volume.

Again, nice detailing.

Regards,

Jonathan

ALCO0001

Joe ,
Nice job!
I have fooled around with the speakers with theses Alcos, My speaker blew running it to loud too long,tried a cell phone speaker and could not get half the volume of the original speaker .they are actually pretty good for there size! I removed the cell phone speaker and installed a zimo sugar cube speaker in the original baffle ,they open easy if you split the seem carefully.
Anyway I made the hole larger behind the front headlight to let the sound out.The zimo fit right in there with its enclosure ,packed the rest of the baffle with lead weight,but I left the original speaker hole open,,, for the frame is open at the bottom there to let tHe sound out also.
Pretty much matched the original volume ,but with more  low end at the prime mover a a little better clarity with the bell and the bassey default, but correct horn for these.Highly recommend these .There is enough room in the original baffle(speaker box for 2 of the sugar cube speakers ,but I went with 1 to start the test and weight and was satisfied ,but curiosity of using 2 still is maybe in the works somtime in the future on another.
Nice Engine.Glad to see someone getting creative with these great little switchers!
Jack

bapguy

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping Bachmann will come out with a GP7 and /or GP9 in Northern Pacific to go with the S4. I would also like to see some Great Northern GP7 and/or GP9's as well. Bachmann is doing a good job I think offering good low cost loco's.   Joe

ALCO0001

YES,
I second that,along with a Silver and Orange western pacific feather river to go with there S2.I really am impressed with there upgrade in paint and lettering,flush cab glass .They make a great gp 9.Hope to see them do some more of those ALCOs though.A nice C415 is needed since a lot of them are still in service. Remember Fairbanks Morris is still around ,and they sell ALCO diesel engines and have kept up with technology.You never know there might be a comeback o the rails.Would be interesting.Apologize for getting off subject.Got a little inspired ;D
Jack

bapguy

Asking for locos is never off topic. I agree with you. Nothing against UP, but there are other Western roads out there! Joe