News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Some questions for Bachmann re On30.

Started by Hamish K, July 23, 2014, 12:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

Given the lack of new announcements this year, and that some items seem to to be in short supply in hobby shops, can Bachmann indicate whether there are likely to be new models in future years? Also will rolling stock be rerun so as to always have a reasonable range available? I accept that all items can not be available all of the time.  Will locos be rerun, or will existing models be replaced by new models as they sell out?

I am not trying to criticise Bachmann, only to clarify the situation for my planning and budgetting purposes.

Hamish

Bucksco

The sky isn't falling. We still have product in our warehouse which means dealers still have product on their shelves (or need to order more). The future of On30 is determined by consumer interest. Contrary to what is posted online the demand for On30 product is not as strong as in the past. The model railroad hobby in general has become very "new product" driven which can be a problem when there are not enough consumers to pay for that "new" piece of tooling required to make the model.

traingeek

Dear Bachmann,  Your past support of the scale has been amazing and I am profoundly grateful for it.  However, your posting was less than reassuring.  To say that you still have product in the warehouse is very different from indicating that old items will remain in production, let alone offering new products. 
   As a business owner, I understand the pressures of the bottom line, and that these have not been the best of times for discretionary spending.  The rapid increase in the price of labor in China is also a huge issue for you, especially as these products are highly labor intensive.  However, not producing the basics of  your existing line would cause a downward spiral of lost customers leading to less offerings, to less customers to .................  Yours,  Dave McLeod

Hamish K

Thank you Yardmaster for your candid answer to my questions. I too appreciate what Bachmann has done for On30 in the past.

Hamish

Bucksco

Dave - Bachmann will continue to produce both old and new On30 models as long as there is a market for said product.

inlander

Quote from: Yardmaster on July 23, 2014, 09:13:18 AM
The sky isn't falling. We still have product in our warehouse which means dealers still have product on their shelves (or need to order more). The future of On30 is determined by consumer interest. Contrary to what is posted online the demand for On30 product is not as strong as in the past. The model railroad hobby in general has become very "new product" driven which can be a problem when there are not enough consumers to pay for that "new" piece of tooling required to make the model.

Well there appears to be a dis joint here as I am having a hard time trying to purchase 18 ft Box cars they appear to not be in stock any where

Lemurien

Yes, impossible to buy 18 ft cars every where....

Chatham

Quote from: Lemurien on July 26, 2014, 05:08:32 AM
Yes, impossible to buy 18 ft cars every where....

Not really unless MM 's web page is wrong. They have both types on there and they say they are available. Well at least they don't say on back order. Just sayin' is all.

Cheers,
Chatham

max (uk)

For me, and others the great thing about On30 was the scope for customising. The 2-8-0 with it's different smoke box options and the forneys with inside and outside framed versions was genius. As a result I now own two of the former and three of the latter.

I feel the On30 loco range has been lacking in this recently. The increase in cost makes things difficult as it makes me think twice about buying a new loco. Yes the 2-4-4-2 looks nice, but I already have a 2-6-6-2.

There are still some winners though. The heisler is an exquisite model and the 18ft cars are ideal for my layout and I struggled to get mine as they were selling out so fast!

Has Bachmann ever considered making a loco in On30 that is not part of the Spectrum line? I think something like (or exactly the same as  ;)) the Big Hauler 2-4-2 would be popular.

C.P.R.R. Manager

I agree, max[uk], the ability to customize locos was a big deal to the bashers.  I've often thought that Bachmann should drop back to On30 locos like the Mogul, except maybe with DCC.  Simple details, plastic boiler, and [hopefully] lower cost.  Maybe even some interchangeable parts, so tooling could be used across several models.  Or, maybe HO tooling for mechanisms could be used, with new bodies in On30, just like the bashers have been doing for decades.

Maybe the sky isn't falling, but it sounds like it might be awhile before the we see any new skies. 

manager

ksivils

None of my Bachmann locomotives are in original condition. All have been modified in some way.

I would love to see another locomotive like the 2-6-0. It was the easiest to modify, except for the DCC installation.

I would also think more generic locomotives that would fit either a two foot or a three foot prototype might lead to more sales with cross scalers buying to convert.

I know of quite a few modelers whose 2-6-0s are now On3. While cool, many of the locomotives that follow specific 30 inch prototypes don't lend themselves to converting to other gauges.

My 2-6-6-2 wound up looking great, to my way of thinking, after its modifications, but is still a small, but long, locomotive. I doubt there are many 3 ft.versions and while it would make a good sized 2 ft. loco, I doubt many were converted.

foles1

The 'railmaster' replied 'that contrary to to whats said on the web, the demand for On30 has dropped off'.  You bet it has, Example: Bachmann brings out a line (short cars), gives us a 'taste' and then drops the ball.  No new motive power save the long overdue Whitcomb,  How many 2-4-4-2's do we need?  We could use a reissue of the gas mechanical switcher, more reasonably priced Porters, a re-do on the 2-6-0, shorty cars in all models.  Not all of us (few) model Colorado themed pikes, but loved the Forneys whose prices like everything are out of sight.  $64.99 for one box car? Come on.  We like to bash all kinds of theings and need stuff we want, not what Bachmann wants to give us.  Get your heads out of the sand, and listen to us.  BTW, the discretionary income of a lot of us has dropped, and this affects what we but.
Bring back the stuff that launched ( you already have the dies for them)this great segment of the hobby.\

Bob

Stevelewis

Over  here  in  the  UK,, it  has  become  quite difficult  to  actually  buy some 0n30 Bachmann products, Passenger  cars  are  vitrually  sold  out  with  apparently none  left in  the  Bachmann UK warehouse,  locos  are in very  short  supply  I purchased  the last New 2-6-0 in  stock  from one retailer last  week,

just 2 days  ago  I was  lucky enough to  get  a  brand  new Climax with  sound (to add to my  others)  it  was  still factory  sealed with  the  cellophane  wrapper  around the  box and it  was  sold to me  for   £179.00 which is  a lot less than the price my regular retailer is listing  them  for at £290.
The point here  being the  retailer  who sold me the  loco  was glad to  sell it and get some  money in as things  are  very quiet in the  trade!

I have  got  a single passenger car ( the last  one in stock)  and a pack of  Brown Hopper cars ( again the last one in stock)
in the post  from a  Retailer in Cornwall  ( Kernow Model Centre)

The 18' freight  cars  are  more or  less sold  out  over  here and  where they  are available  the price has increased by around  15%

Hopefully  the  Whitcomb  will be  here  very soon ( Early September is being reprted)  but even  that has  had  a  price increase of around 10%

I appreciate  the  reasons for  the  increases its  a reflection  of  what  is happening in the  world these days, workers want a decent living  wage.

I hope  that  Bachmann continue to support 0n30
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Dusten Barefoot

I love the On30 line, and it's hard to believe that it's falling down, like everyone is saying. If the price was lowered, more people will buy, and the more people that buy it, means more money for the workers and the company. The US market is in a bad mess, there are a lot of people out of jobs and/or don't make enough money to enjoy the hobby like they used to. I also think, bachmann should do poll's of what their consumers want, so they can make a product for everyone. I'm personally hopping for more 19th century models, such as an 8-18c-18d locomotive. I don't care what the price of them would be, but alot of people would want to get them.

That's just my 2 cents
Rock On!
~Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Stevelewis

IU dont  think  there  is  any  chance  of  a  price  reduction,  the  fact  is  production  costs  have  escalated  to  an  alarming  degree ,  the  workers demanding  a proper  living  wage!

Incidentally  Bachmann Europe  here in  the  UK announced a sudden  price  increase  of  around  20% on average  across  the  WHOLE  UK  range  both  in 00  &  N  gauge  which resulted in  hefty  increases of  prices almost immediately in  the  retail outlets,  even  the  big  discounters  such  as  Hattons in Liverpool  showed big  price increases.

There  are  still some good  prices  around  over  here on some 0n30 items,  as  I mentioned on another  post  I bought a  brand new Factory  sealed  Climax with  sound   for  £179.00,  which  was  £33.00 less than  Hattons  price  and  £100 less than another  discounters  price!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!