News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2014 NEW PRODUCTS

Started by Doneldon, July 18, 2014, 06:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

I for one am impressed with the wide range of B'man products across all product lines. I won't comment on the O or large scale trains -- except to say that the "O" EZ Streets and large scale Mogul look pretty great -- because they're not where I'm active but there sure is a lot to talk about in HO and N. Oh, yes. I won't comment on the MSRPs, either, except to notice that they seem to be astronomical. thank goodness we don't have to pay at those levels.

Sound in N-scale locomotives? WOW! And road names like Erie and NP? These are decisions which I'm sure will make many N-scalers very happy. I love the Van Sweringen Berk. As a kid, we lived in a house which had to cross one of the Nickel Plate mainlines to get into town, something we did several times a day it seems like, and the trip often included waiting for one of the Berks hauling a fast freight at speed on a seriously super-elevated curve. If we were the first car it was like the train was actually over us, not merely in front. Once I got over being scared it was really something to look forward to.

Not surprisingly, the HO selection is the most extensive. Three steamers with sound, including more Berks and some Mikes. Now that's tremendous. Did I mention how great it was watching the Nickel Plate Berks roar by? And everything with sound. I'm thinking the DC folks are going to find it harder and harder to hold out. And the Climax, just waiting for sound. Holy cow!

The buildings look neat, if truly expensive. Road names like Alaska, MEC, W&A and Pere Marquette are certainly good to see. The horse cars make me wonder if these are toys or models but I'm sure there will be lots of buyers so my opinion has even less importance in this case than it usually has. I absolutely have to get my hands on the AT&SF TOFC with the Navajo trailer on it.

Is there a down side? Well, I'm still trying to catch my breath on the flex track at $8 per. If the rest of the new offerings weren't so great I'd never be able to get over that price. I hope everyone is as happy with the new line up as I am. I think the B'man did a bang-up job this time.
                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on July 18, 2014, 06:59:18 PMe Climax, just waiting for sound. Holy cow!

Is there a down side? Well, I'm still trying to catch my breath on the flex track at $8 per. If the rest of the new offerings weren't so great I'd never be able to get over that price. I hope everyone is as happy with the new line up as I am. I think the B'man did a bang-up job this time.
                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

At $8.00 per 36", I'd expect something better than code 100.  I'd expect a really fine scale track with spikes heads and tie plates, all the ties not perfectly square with the centre line of the track and weathered ties, at least something better than brown plastic.  Sorry Bachmann but code 100 is, how to put this kindly, not scale model railroad track?

Cheers

Roger T.

jonathan

(sorry, I AM YELLING)

A USRA MIKE for B&O (Q-3).  WWWWOOOOOWWWW!  The lights are in the right place and everything, no one else seemed to figure that out, but you did.

Thanks Bachmann!!  You must have a serious B&O fan on staff.  Can't wait...

I WAS saving for a brass S-1a, but a couple of Mikes pulling my freight around will be perfect.  You outdid yourselves...  AGAIN! Will have a great time super-detailing these puppies.

I'm still on the EM-1 high... I may never come down.

Thanks for building these locomotives... JUST FOR ME!!!  ;D

ahem... I'm ok now.

Regards,

Jonathan

Sandpatch1

Wait? A Baltimore and Ohio 2-8-2?! Berkshires?!  :o I can't wait!

jbsmith

Some day,,when I hit the Power Ball Lotto,,i might actually buy one of those 2-8-2's .

ACY

Quote from: rogertra on July 18, 2014, 08:22:23 PMSorry Bachmann but code 100 is, how to put this kindly, not scale model railroad track?
Roger, I think code 100 is in fact the correct scale height for some track in United States granted most track was closer to code 83 and 70. Areas where heavy items were transported used rail that is very close to code 100, but that was probably 5% or less of all track in the continental USA.

ebtbob

Jonathan,

Shouldn't the Q class mike have a Vanderbuilt style tender?   And I agree,  with at least two other manufactures offering flex track at about half the price proposed,  I ask Bachmann,  what makes your track worth that much money,  and why not code 83?  With respect......
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

rogertra

Quote from: ACY on July 22, 2014, 03:05:46 AM
Quote from: rogertra on July 18, 2014, 08:22:23 PMSorry Bachmann but code 100 is, how to put this kindly, not scale model railroad track?
Roger, I think code 100 is in fact the correct scale height for some track in United States granted most track was closer to code 83 and 70. Areas where heavy items were transported used rail that is very close to code 100, but that was probably 5% or less of all track in the continental USA.

Code 100 rail is the scale equivalent of 155 lb/yd (76.9 kg/m) and is no longer in production.  It was once used by the Pennsylvania Railroad on a few hundred miles of track which of course, some modellers jump on as an excuse to use the stuff.  These days, code 83 would be typical of a scale rail size.  Why people still make and use code 100  is beyond me but, each to his own.

Code 100 rail dates back before all the manufacturers adopted NMRA RP25 for their wheel profiles.  This was say 15 to 20 years ago when companies like Bachmann and Life-Like et-al produced rolling stock with steam roller wheels that wouldn't run on anything else but Code 100 rail.  Fortunately, those days a past and Bachmann now produce good quality rolling stock with RP25 wheels.

These days, there's no need for Code 100 rail and especially not at $8.00/yard.

ebtbob

Roger,

As you say,  to each his own.   I have used code 100 rail for years and still do.   I was once a member of a local model railroad club who was very much opposed to code 100 rail.   One night I had a number of the members over to see my railroad.  When the night's fun was finished,  one of the greatest opponents to code 100 expressed how much he loved my mine area and the mainline that passed it.   This area is totally sceniced.   He did not realize that I had code 100 track there.     
      I have seen any number of pictures of your old railroad and the one that you are building now.   I think you do wonderful work.   I appreciate good modeling,  but when you model the way I do with no specific prototype and local,  code 100 works out quite well.   
        And one more thought......there is a need for code 100 track in On30 which I also model.    Keep up your good work.   
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

rogertra

Quote from: ebtbob on July 22, 2014, 09:08:34 AM
Roger,

As you say,  to each his own.   I have used code 100 rail for years and still do.   I was once a member of a local model railroad club who was very much opposed to code 100 rail.   One night I had a number of the members over to see my railroad.  When the night's fun was finished,  one of the greatest opponents to code 100 expressed how much he loved my mine area and the mainline that passed it.   This area is totally sceniced.   He did not realize that I had code 100 track there.    
     I have seen any number of pictures of your old railroad and the one that you are building now.   I think you do wonderful work.   I appreciate good modeling,  but when you model the way I do with no specific prototype and local,  code 100 works out quite well.  
       And one more thought......there is a need for code 100 track in On30 which I also model.    Keep up your good work.  

OK Bob, you win, I can see your point.  :)

I realise in other scales Code 100 is required.

Thanks for the compliments.

I seriously considered converting to On30, even to the point of converting all my HO steam with new cabs, domes, sandbox and air pumps.

I was going to model Vancouver Island in the late 1950s as though the E&N had been, like the Newfoundland Railway, built to narrow gauge.  My version would have been built with "modern" steam power and rolling stock running with standard gauge equipment on narrow gauge trucks, again like Newfoundland and not the "antiquated" look so beloved by most narrow gaugers.

Cheers

Roger T.

ebtbob

Roger,

I love it when guys like you and Jonathan post pictures of their modeling.   I am always curious to see things like color of ballest on mainlines as well as yard areas and sidings along the main.  I also enjoy checking out buildings and what colors are used to paint or stain them.  So keep on posting.   BTW.....I didn't win anything.  We are just two modelers speaking to our preferences.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress