Spectrum Norfolk and Western ho 4-8-4

Started by bobv, July 25, 2014, 02:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobv

Couple of problems here.  Front wheels seem to jump off the track causing derails. This happens on 30" radius curves.  Happens at half throttle. I made sure the screws are snug to allow freedom of movement but the seem to ride up.  CAn I add a bit of weight on top of the front wheels??  Any other good solutions out there?
Also, what is the "optional"rerail frog holder that came in the box?  the diagram isn't clear how or why to install
Thank you!

rogertra

1). Check your track for iregularities.

2). Loosen the truck retaining screw, do not tighten it.

3). If it has one, try removing the spring that holds the truck down.  On well laid track, the springs on both leading and trailing trucks are not required. I remove all mine.

4). Make sure the loco is properly weighted and balance so the centre of balance is centred between the centre two drivers.  If it not, add weight in concealed spaces to properly balance the loco.

5). If you remove any spring holding a truck down then replacing the spring with weight is even better than using a spring.

Cheers.

Roger T.  

Brewman

I think the rerail frog holders are just extra detail parts. I think they go on the front of the tender but I'm not sure of the exact location. I haven't bothered putting them on because I figured they would get knocked off and lost when we take the train to the club to run.

Barry

rogertra

Re-rail frogs.

These are usually hung on a pair of hooks on either side of the tender under frame,  centred between the trucks.

Cheers

Roger T.

bobv

Roger T
Thanks for the tips! I removed the springs and that did the trick.  Now after owning it for 4 years Ican make continuous loops around the track on my layout.  Also had to modify the tender bar to a single bar as the original design "pushed" the tender off at each turnout- no longer the case.