News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Remote turnouts on a DCC track

Started by rkovling, October 13, 2014, 01:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkovling

I purchased a Bachmann DCC equipped train set.  I also bought 2 remote turnouts.  How do I hook these remote turnouts up to the DCC Controller? And, if I cannot, then how do I get them to work?

ACY

You should have purchased the DCC turnouts if you wanted to use your DCC system. The analog remote turnouts cannot/should not be powered by your EZ Command System. You can utilize any Standard DC (analog)power source such as the basic Bachmann DC controller that comes in most other trainsets. The reason I advise against powering the turnouts off the track power is because the EZ Command is barely able to power 2 or 3 DCC locomotives, so if you also attempted to power accessories like turnouts amd lights, you would be lucky to be able to run one locomotive and when you threw a turnout it would affect the operation of your locomotives because of the current it draws.

rkovling

If I use a standard powerpack with the DCC, won't it short out against the current from the DCC controller?

Irbricksceo

Remote turnouts have a wire coming from them. The switch it plugs into has its own feeder. This wire goes to the AC accesory terminals on the DC pack, the DC out (to track) line won't be used/
Modeling NYC in N

rkovling

Thank you for the information.  I am going to try to get another power pack.

Doneldon

rk-

You don't need another power pack per se, only another source of power. An old wall wart from a video game, cell phone or some other electronic item will work just fine as long a it pus out the right amount of current. Look for one which puts out 14-16 volts at about an amp. You don't need to be able to vary this power and you can also run some lights with it, depending on the turnouts' draw and the lights themselves. If you must or decide to stick with a power pack, look for one on eBay. New power packs are sold for a lot more than they're worth, at least if they're only going to be used for accessories. So ... use a wall wart or some kind of recycled power pack and spend the money you save on more trains.
                                                                                              -- D

hawaiiho

I started out with a Bachmann DC layout. When I changed to DCC, I used the old Bachmann controller to power my remote switches and my Bachmann Turntable. Works great.

Will

hawaiiho

On your computer go to You Tube

Do a search for "Bachmann EZ Track Desvio".

This will take you to a video that shows VERY clearly, how to hook up and use the Bachmann remote turnouts.

Will