News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modifying a Bachmann Engine

Started by Sandpatch1, July 31, 2014, 10:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandpatch1

Does anybody have any tips for modifying a Bachmann locomotive, preferably the Santa Fe 4-8-4. I wish to cosmetically modify it to look like a Western Maryland J-1 4-8-4.

Doneldon

Sandy-

Start by locating photos of the locomotive you want to portray at the time you want to portray. (Steam engines were constantly reworked so some photos might not show the engine at the point in its life you prefer.) You'll need several views -- at a minimum both sides and the front, plus the tender, which might be different from the one in your pics of the loco. Once you have the pictures you'll b able to see what parts need to be removed and what to replace them with. It would be a good idea to install DCC and/or sound while things are torn apart. Of course, you can ignore that part if the loco is just for display or if you will run it on DC.

The photos are critical. Without a reference you'll be taking stabs in the dark.
                                                                                                                     -- D

Sandpatch1

I have done a lot of research on the locomotive.

ebtnut

For starters, I would see I could locate one of the Bachmann N&W J's.  The WM locos had 69" drivers and the J has 70", so that mechanism would be a good start.  Then I would see about mating the Santa Fe boiler to the J frame.  Kemtron used to make an all-weather cab in both brass and styrene.  Not sure if PSC still catalogs these items.  The Berkshire tender might do OK for your cosmetic WM J. 

richg

Quote from: ebtnut on August 01, 2014, 09:25:33 AM
For starters, I would see I could locate one of the Bachmann N&W J's.  The WM locos had 69" drivers and the J has 70", so that mechanism would be a good start.  Then I would see about mating the Santa Fe boiler to the J frame.  Kemtron used to make an all-weather cab in both brass and styrene.  Not sure if PSC still catalogs these items.  The Berkshire tender might do OK for your cosmetic WM J.  

Precision Scale Co. has an online site with a PDF download of the parts they sell. Go look. I just did.
Been some years but I use to call PSC and order parts if Walther's did not have them in stock.
You can also search the Walther's site for detail parts. Easy to do.
Somewhere in my old PSC catalogues, I have the part number conversion from Kemtron to PSC.
You might even find old Kemtron parts on ebay.

Rich