News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loose metal parts repair

Started by mickeykelley, July 27, 2014, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickeykelley

On my Climax and Shay, I've got several of the metal detail parts that have come loose.  Today's was the cab handrail bottom attachment joint.  What's the best glue to put these back on where they attach to the plastic.  It does not appear to have ANY glue residue from the factory.  Before I just get something out and start trying, I thought I'd see what I can learn from some of you pros at attaching metal to plastic.  Thanks in advance.

Loco Bill Canelos

If you must glue I would try either gel  type super glue using a toothpick to apply, or 5 minute epoxy also applied with a toothpick.

Personally I prefer the 5 minute epoxy in most situations.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mickeykelley

I understand that glue can be messy.  But how were they installed at the factory?  Are there any other options?  They won't stay by just pushing them back in as the vibration or picking them up will cause them to fall out and probably get lost then.

Chuck N

Mickey:

I agree with Bill.  By using a toothpick, you can put a small amount of glue in the hole with no spill over around the edge.  I have no idea what Bachmann uses, but I have been told that some manufacturers use a hot glue gun. 

Chuck

chieffan

I have had good results by putting a "nick" in the side of the pin that goes into the hole.  This make the pin larger than the hole in that are and gives some bite to hold it in place.  Lay the iron on a piece of hard metal using a small cold chisel and hammer, put the nick in the side of the pin portion that will be inside the hole.

Another method would be to flatten the pin some to make it larger on 2 side than the hole is.  Be careful not to over do it.  Trial and error is probably the best way to get the right amount of flatness.  Good luck and keep them on the rails.

Roger
Chieffan