News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shay Couplers

Started by Joe Zullo, August 08, 2014, 02:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Zullo

I plan on getting a two truck Shay in the near future, but the couplers have me concerned. All my rolling stock is Bachmann 1:22.5 and the Shay is 1:20. Will there be a vertical height problem (I'm almost sure there will be)? Because I will be purchasing used, it will not come with any accessories such as drop couplers, as my two 1:20 Davenports did. What do you suggest? I will need to keep the couplers truck mounted because all my 13 turnouts are R1 and all my rolling stock (Big Hauler) have truck mounted couplers. Please help if you can. ~Joe~

Chuck N

Joe:

Part way down this thread, I show pictures of how I installed couplers on my Shay:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,28064.0.html

I do not see any way to mount couplers on the trucks on the Shay, easily.  My suggestion is to mount a Kadee, stepup, #831 on a truck on one of your cars and always have that car behind the Shay.  That will step up the truck mounted coupler to mate with the Shay's step down.

You might be able to lower the coupler on the engine with a longer screw and some washers and have it mate with your truck mounted couplers.  This might not work on R1 curves.  

Kadee also has an extra long shanked coupler, don't know the number.  It is a single item, no coupler box, springs or holes in the shank.  The extra length might give you enough swing.  It would have to be mounted down with a long screw and washers, and be able to pivot.

Chuck

Nathan

If you are buying one of the new 2 truck Shays, they come with the conversion couplers.

Nathan

Chuck N

Nathan:

He is not getting a new one, it is used, and he is concerned that it might not have all of the couplers that it originally came with.

Chuck

Joe Zullo

My Shay arrived and the couplers that it came with are truck mounted and the correct height for all my rolling stock. Here is a video I shot of the new Shay in service on the HDRR...
http://youtu.be/bxNPONz0OYM?list=UUmcf8bIebZRP3ZEUJKEo71A

Chuck N

Joe:

Enjoy your new Shay.  They are a fun locomotive to watch.

Chuck