knuckle couplers installed on thomas????

Started by UPTODAY, August 06, 2014, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UPTODAY

has anyone put knuckle couplers on thomas????
thanks,uptoday
UPTODAY

richg

Best to convert a car with a Kadee on one end.
Did about an hour of Google-ing and found a forum where someone converted a Thomas but could not see the pictures. I would have to subscribe to the forum.
Sounded like some work involved.

Rich

jettrainfan

Mine is a dummy but even its short life of being alive, I never replaced the hook-n-loop coupler, I just slipped it into the knuckle and the only time there was a problem was when one of the cars jumped a switch and managed to yank Thomas with it. It may not look right if you're paying attention but its not exactly nessicary to add a knuckle coupler if you just want to haul american cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

PaulGWR

I myself would like to know because that would simplify operation on a layout.

richg

Quote from: sodorfan on August 08, 2014, 05:01:37 PM
I myself would like to know because that would simplify operation on a layout.

Google ho scale thomas kadee couplers

I just did. Someone did it. I will let you do it. Your PC is just as powerful as my PC.

Rich

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

UPTODAY

richg,i can not find the thread you are talking about, help!!!
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

clan line 35028

I have put Kadee couplers on all my thomas and friends equipment. except for thomas. to get the coupler box at NMRA standard you have to cut away so much of his rear and front pilots and add in extra material as they are not thick enough. if you have the courage to do so go ahead. other then that problem the other stuff like freight cars. just unscrew the loop and hook. cut the small riser to the bottom of the car body. use a longer screw to place the Kadee coupler box in and your set.

clan line 35028

Here is the link on where i learned to first install Kadee couplers on british and Thomas and friends equipment.
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3328

PaulGWR

Basstbone is a member here has a video on it

Jhanecker2

to clan line35028 :  Very interesting  post .    Since I have three  Harry Potter  locomotives ,  I converted one tender to pull Thomas cars , and one tender to pull knuckle couplers and left the original one to Pull  Potter cars .  I do like the concept of switching over to Knuckle - couplers for all cars to allow for greater flexibility and utilizing different engines to haul cars . The knuckle coupler conversion was the easiest since I converted  Maerklin Potter cars to DC by changing wheelsets and they had NEM coupler pockets so bachmann couplers were available . When I get the ambition to modify the bachmann Potter cars I am going to remove the talgo style arms & have to body mount  coupler pockets .  Should be a learning experience .   John2

Len

I use a Hornby OO 'goods van' with NEMA coupler pockets as a conversion car. One end has a NEMA end Kadee knuckle coupler, the other has a hook & loop to connect with Thomas equipment.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.