News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ-Command Controller output

Started by CREngineer, December 22, 2014, 08:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CREngineer

I have the EZ_Command controller, actually have two. My question is what voltage and amperage these are supposed to put out? One output is 18.5 and the other is 19.4 volts. Isn't this is bit high for decoders to handle? The reason for that statement is I've burnt up two right after installing them. And yes they were done correct, as I have installed many prior to this one. Won't mention the brand as I don't think that matters, as much as the voltage/amps output of the controller. It may be the locomotive drawing to much amps, but I tend to not figure that, as I have other Loco's with the same motor and they run great. I'm looking to upgrade my controller and thinking about the Dynamis. But that's for another post later.
Thanks

MrMoose

Quote from: CREngineer on December 22, 2014, 08:35:10 AM
I have the EZ_Command controller, actually have two. My question is what voltage and amperage these are supposed to put out? One output is 18.5 and the other is 19.4 volts. Isn't this is bit high for decoders to handle? The reason for that statement is I've burnt up two right after installing them. And yes they were done correct, as I have installed many prior to this one. Won't mention the brand as I don't think that matters, as much as the voltage/amps output of the controller. It may be the locomotive drawing to much amps, but I tend to not figure that, as I have other Loco's with the same motor and they run great. I'm looking to upgrade my controller and thinking about the Dynamis. But that's for another post later.
Thanks

I looked on my ez command power pack and it says 16v ac at 1 amp

Joe Satnik

CREngineer, 

My basic knowledge:

Normal AC Volt meters are usually designed with only 50 or 60 Hz sine wave (house power) in mind.

You need an oscilloscope or a special DCC Volt meter to accurately measure a DCC (higher frequency square-wave) waveform.

Does your loco run well on DC without the decoder (bypass jumper installed)?

Joe 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

CREngineer

Quote from: Joe Satnik on December 22, 2014, 09:24:36 AM
CREngineer, 

My basic knowledge:

Normal AC Volt meters are usually designed with only 50 or 60 Hz sine wave (house power) in mind.

You need an oscilloscope or a special DCC Volt meter to accurately measure a DCC (higher frequency square-wave) waveform.

Does your loco run well on DC without the decoder (bypass jumper installed)?

Joe 
Thanks Joe and to answer your question, it does run well in DC mode. I installed a DZ126T, because I was told it would fit, which it did and told by support people that it will take 19 to 20 volts, which it apparently don't. It operates for approximately 10-15 sec and the motor starts jerking and then quits. So my whole thing is, is the controller (EZ-Command) putting out to much voltage at 18.5 on one and 19.4 on the other, for the decoder to handle? Both controllers are new, so I never give it a thought about to much Voltage/Amperage.