Help Need HO Scale Steam Locomotive that steams and whistles

Started by Martha, August 14, 2014, 05:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

Martha-

1.) I'm concerned that one of your power supplies is getting so hot. Two explanations come to mind. First, check the ampere output on the power supply. It's possible that it puts out the right voltage but has very little oomph in the form of amps and is therefore straining to power the lights. If this is the case, reduce the load on that power supply by removing some of the feeders.

The other possible cause of the high heat (warm is OK but you are describing way too much heat for long-term, safe, reliable operation) is that the power supply is in the process of self destructing. There should be a thermal limiter or a circuit breaker to protect the power supply but it clearly isn't working. You might try checking if it overheats when plugged directly into the wall. I'm guessing it will.

If reducing the load to what the power supply can safely supply doesn't cool the power supply down, scrap it. The unit is potentially dangerous (fire) and it has no easily serviceable parts inside so it's best to just replace it.

2.) Touch the red probe of your VOM to the wire which feeds your load, at the positive terminal of its power supply or right before the load itself. Touch the black probe to the other end of your load or the negative terminal on the power supply. When you do this, make sure nothing is connected to the power supply except the specific load you want to measure.

3.) It's not rally practical to run both 3.0 and 4.5 volt circuits from a single power supply, especially one which doesn't match either voltage. You'd have to separate the two voltage "groups" and then use resistors to get 3.0 volts on one and 4.5 volts on the other. You might well find that feeding everything from a single power supply puts too much demand on the power supply which will overheat it, cause it to cut out to protect itself or just fail. If I were you, I'd try to find a single 3.0 volt supply which is beefy enough to meet all of the 3.0 volt items (add the amps of every load and make sure the power supply has at least that much amperage -- a cushion of 20-25% would be better), and I'd do the same for the 4.5 volt items.

I'm glad you haven't given up on Jamestown. You've come a long way with it and you seem to be enjoying the process, well, more or less. As for not having your power strip flipped on, be aware that the most common reason people call appliance repair is that they haven't even plugged the thing in. At least you did that!
                                                  -- D

Martha

D - the adapter ready to crap out is where I was thinking, had a power supply for a laptop do that. Odd thing is, when plugged directly to the wall socket it gets the normal warm, also on a extension cord with only one 3v string of lights on it it stays warm. Hook it to the power strip which is feed by a light weight extension cord it gets hot, even with just one 3v something hooked to it. So I think I will just eliminate it. It was a 3v with 500mA and it was designed to run four feeders (thanks for using that word, for the life of me I couldn't think of that word). So it should of operated at least 4 something or others without overloading it. I will keep my eye out for a 3 v with maybe 2500 mA? If I knew how to measure all the mA's I am using I'd get a better idea what size I needed.

Tonight I dusted off Prairie, cleaned off the tracks, hooked up some Christmas cars to her and she has been just traveling around Jamestown for quite some time. I have 90% of the lights I want on Jamestown, just the street lights remain. The more I get into this train stuff the more I am leaning towards a full blown HO scale train layout. Jamestown will stay Jamestown but maybe my Grandson and I can work on a new layout once I move back to NY. I have plenty of stuff I don't use on Jamestown but sure could go for a MR layout. And I will stick to the HO Scale on that one.

I am still trying to figure out that multimeter but for now just leaving it alone until I can grasp it a little better. I figured out where to set the darn thing to check the voltage but not sure which one will measure the mA.

I thank you for your reply. Haven't heard from jbrock27 hope all is okay in his neck of the woods.

Later gator

Doneldon

Martha-

It could be that running many low-voltage circuits off of your power strip would heat something up but I would expect it to be the wire to the power strip, not one of the power converters on the strip. And, truth be told, you shouldn't be able to overheat your power strip with just low voltage uses. I'm still thinking that the three-volt power supply is not long for this world.

It would be very easy to incorporate Jamestown into a larger layout. Just run a turnout from the outer loop to the new work. You could have a mainline connecting Jamestown and a second platform with a loop of its own. That would let you turn trains around. The connecting track could be as long as you want or have space for. This would work well for continuous running, maybe even for two trains simultaneously. Connecting the two loops with what would look like a double track would make both loops and the connecting tracks a giant oval. It would be what we call a dog-bone shape track plan. WARNING: Model rails are always quick to tell others how easy it would be to expand their layouts, especially when the model rails won't have to do the work. However, in this case I'm giving you the true skinny.

I've seen Jim on some other threads here so I'm pretty sure he's okay.
                                                                                                           -- D

Martha

Hello there! Hope turkey day was a good for you all. As for me I have spent 4 long days decorating inside and out for Christmas. I am worn out and I am still not done! Jamestown is almost ready for it's debut. I need to place the residents and other things and then video it for everyone to see. I have shown it to a few neighbors and they all seem to like it. "Prairie" is the hit of the town. I am so pleased that I purchased it, she just pulls her cars around town with ease. I hope my move back east will find me a larger place to live so I can start increasing the town. I think I might just have gotten hooked on this Model Railroading stuff. It was suggested a while back I could incorporate Jamestown into to a larger layout. And it struck me  "hey I can make it into a four season layout". You know, winter, spring, summer and fall. just travel through the seasons. My mind just gets overloaded with all the ideas of how to do it. I will let you all know when I have uploaded my video. Later gator. Martha

Doneldon

Martha-

It's good to see you back. I was a little worried that you had given up.

It's very difficult, impossible, really, to have a layout change through the seasons. However, it's certainly possible to have separate seasonal scenes through which your trains run. This works best if there are distinct separations between the scenes. A tunnel through a mountain ridge, going around a sharp curve, even having picture frames for the different seasons can work.

Our Thanksgiving was a wonderful one. But then, with turkey dinner and grandchildren, how could it be anything else?

-- D

Martha

Hey fellows I'm Back! Gez I was all the way on page 4 or so guess it's been a while. Need opinions, working on my 2014 Jamestown video. I want to add train whistle to it. Which whistle sound is more authentic for a Steam powered locomotive? The shrill one or the deep bass sounding one? Also, do steam engines use bells or just whistles? I know the deisel sounding ones aren't it, just not sure about the "pitch" of the whistle. Did that make sense? I may not be a MR but I know you all will be viewing this and would like to have it as authentic as I can. I've relied on your input, helpful tips, opinions and suggestions, etc. You will never know how much I appreciated it all. So bring it on with your suggestions/opinions on which whistle I should use and also about the bells. sneak peak of Jamestown. Not sure if the video will play good or not. let me know. later gator

Hunt

You may not be using DCC but the following will answer your questions and some you may have not  yet asked.

Click Here Selecting the Right Sound for your Steam Locomotive

Click Here for sound samples

Doneldon

Hey, Martha, it's good to hear from you again-

Steam engines used whistles and bells. The bells were used when the loco, with or without a train, was moving at slow speeds or was in a place where safety concerns dictated an active warning system, like a station, a yard or street running.

Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy Jamestown.
                                                                         -- D

Martha

FINALLY!!!!! Jamestown 2014 complete. I cannot believe how long this took! I Thank all who gave me support, tips, opinions, ideas, and just plain thoughtfulness. I also gave a nod to Jim Banner if you notice. He really knew his stuff didn't he? Well I am sure he has a train operating in his happy resting place. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and God Bless. I can't wait til next year!!!

http://youtu.be/dV7waLsnU5I

Doneldon

Martha-

Jamestown looks like a great place to live. Do you know if there are any houses for sale or apartments for rent?

-- D

Martha

Doneldon, I posted Jamestown in the general forum as well as this one and some of the other guys replied there. Jbrock, jward and Jerryho had kind words as well as you did. I think there is a small home over the tunnel for sale, not sure if the rumble of the train would be a problem but then again, a train guy would probably find it soothing! Happy New Year, already think of 2015. Thanks again!