News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

steam loco tracktion

Started by dwbum, August 15, 2014, 10:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwbum

my 2-6-0 alco and 0-6-0 with slope back tender locos can only pull 1 to 2 cars up a 4% grade with 2' radius. Does Backmann (or anyone) offer tracktion tires for these locos? My layout is DCC and code 100 track.
Don

bapguy

There's a product called Bullfrog Snot. You put in on the loco's wheels to make it into a traction tire.  Joe
Belligerent Berkshires? Malingering Mallets? Derelict Diesels? Pathetic Pacifics? Sluggish Switchers? You need BULLFROG SNOT. A sophisticated, specially secret formulated, room temperature curing, one-part green liquid plastic with very unique properties. BULLFROG SNOT was concocted and brewed by a veteran N-scaler specifically to be the ideal solution for improving traction on model railroads, but it can surely apply to numerous other quirky little problems (Monorails, turntables, slot cars, Lego wheels, driveshaft couplings on engines and switch machines, etc) left to be discovered by your creative fertile imagination.

Walthers carries this as well as on line hobby shops

Bill Baker

Does the Bullfrog Snot interfere with electrical conductivity?
Bill

rogertra

Quote from: dwbum on August 15, 2014, 10:50:28 AM
my 2-6-0 alco and 0-6-0 with slope back tender locos can only pull 1 to 2 cars up a 4% grade with 2' radius. Does Backmann (or anyone) offer tracktion tires for these locos? My layout is DCC and code 100 track.
Don

Are you sure it's a 4% grade?   That's a one unit rise for every 25 units of run?  The unit can be inches, feet, metres, apples or 747s, it doesn't matter what they are providing they are all the same.  :)

My Alco 2-6-0s, that's the one with DCC and sound not the faux 2-6-0 which is just the Bachmann 0-6-0 switcher with a pilot track stitched onto the front, have enough traction to pull 12 to 14 cars on the level so should easily handle two or more cars on a 4% grade.

Cheers

Roger T.

bapguy

Yes. It goes on the driver and acts like a traction tire. I imagine it will wear off after a while. My friend uses it on his N Scale steamers to get up his helix. So on an 0-6-0 or 2-6-0 you will loose one set of driver pick up.
   Joe

Irbricksceo

The loss of Conductivity on that 0-6-0 will likely cause a lot of problems unless you add tender pickups, I havent to my 0-6-0 and even without that loss, power loss is a major issue, especially with DCC. That and the detail next to the Spectrums render it as rarely used.
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

Quote from: Bill Baker on August 15, 2014, 11:46:49 AM

Bill-

Yes, on the wheel to which it is applied. It should be applied to only one axle's wheels.

-- D

Skarloey Railway

I swear some folks expect their model engines to pull house bricks up ladders. 4% is steep. 2' radius is hardly generous.

Irbricksceo

The other issues you would need to look at are the engines weight. I don't own the Alco 2-6-0 but the USRA 0-6-0 has a few hidden spaces you could add weight to. I once again refer you to Jonathan's 0-6-0 rebuild post for that one.

Weight is a critical part of how much a locomotive can pull, my SY 2-8-2 for example is very light, on a 2% grade it would be hard pressed to haul 6 Freight cars, and it struggles with 3 of my old Athearn Lighted Passenger cars on Fairly Level Track. The 2-8-0 on the other hand weighs quite a lot comparatively and pulls a lot. I'd advise looking into the weight.

4% is a lot steeper than most would do outside of Geared Locomotives, although not impossible. Unfortunately, It's a trade off, steeper incline means more height but less potential to move trains.
Modeling NYC in N

jward

while 4% is steep, the 2 ft radius(24r) curves are not particularly sharp, and are well within the capabilities of these small locomotives.

since my experiences using these same locomotives on 4% and 18r curves is markedly different, I am wondering of there are other issues here such as the use of a lubricant type track cleaning fluid on the rails.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

My feeling is the grade he has is steeper than 4%.  I did ask but he's never replied.

In fact, since the original post, bwbum hasn't been heard from since.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

True dat.  And he has not been active on the site since the day of his initial post.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Skarloey Railway

Quote from: jward on August 24, 2014, 08:37:38 AM
while 4% is steep, the 2 ft radius(24r) curves are not particularly sharp, and are well within the capabilities of these small locomotives.

since my experiences using these same locomotives on 4% and 18r curves is markedly different, I am wondering of there are other issues here such as the use of a lubricant type track cleaning fluid on the rails.

I agree, 2' radius isn't a problem for the loco, but it will increase rolling resistance on whatever it's pulling.

jward

rolling resistance on a 24" curve would be negligible, especially with shorter cars.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Quote from: Skarloey Railway on August 24, 2014, 02:01:24 PM
I agree, 2' radius isn't a problem for the loco, but it will increase rolling resistance on whatever it's pulling.

Skar-

Actually, curves do affect locomotives the same way they affect other rolling stock. This isn't huge with model railroads -- it's certainly much less significant than the steepness of a grade, for example -- but it is a factor.
                                                                                   -- D