Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

steam loco tracktion

Started by dwbum, August 15, 2014, 10:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on August 24, 2014, 09:23:30 PM
Quote from: Skarloey Railway on August 24, 2014, 02:01:24 PM
I agree, 2' radius isn't a problem for the loco, but it will increase rolling resistance on whatever it's pulling.

Skar-

Actually, curves do affect locomotives the same way they affect other rolling stock. This isn't huge with model railroads -- it's certainly much less significant than the steepness of a grade, for example -- but it is a factor.
                                                                                   -- D

I agree.  I run 20+ car freight trains on 30" minimum radius curves, actual curves are 36+" curves and No. 6 switches with, at the moment, one powered diesel or one steam loco powering the train.  I don't think I could do this with 24" curves.  But, I'm not 100% sure as I haven't used 24" curves since my starter 5 x 8 foot train set some 50 years ago.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

dwbum

Hello, thanks for all your comments / suggestions. I fabricated a guage and while to grade varies it measures between 3 and 4%.
I added weight to the Alco 2-6-0 and the loco runs smoother there was anly a slight improvement for negotiating the grade. The local Hobby Shop tried Bull Frog Snot, they had an adhesion problem. I have added electrical pick up to the 0-6-0 tender and will add weight to the loco. I will try again to apply Bull Frog Snot; I'll post results.
Don

dwbum

I applied Bull Frog Snot to 4 of the 6 loco drivers; it made a marked improvement. Applying the Bull Frog Snot was a tedious process and I am still on the learning curve.  The 0-6-0 need some additional weight which I will do when I figure out how to remove the boiler shell. Bachmann service states that once screws are removed, the shell needs to be pried loose with a small scre driver; the did not say where to insert the screw drive to pry the scell loose. Any ideas.
Don