News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"Kitbashed" P2K 0-6-0

Started by rogertra, October 11, 2007, 12:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Thought I'd show off my latest kitbash.

I exchanged the stock tender for a slope-backed tender, origins unknown, on GER No25, the P2K 0-6-0 yard switcher in Berger Yard, Atwater.   I removed the P2K tender body and shortened the chassis to fit the slope-backed tender.  I wanted to retain the tender pick-ups and the excellent P2K electrical connection/drawbar that comes with the P2K tender(s).  Other than the fact that I mis-measured and mis-cut the chassis, about 1 scale foot too short, the conversion was fairly straight forward, once I'd fixed my error.  DOH!

The only other addition to the tender body was to increase the height of the tender coal rails around the bunker and to add "coal" over the top of the plastic heap, which always makes a tender look much better.

A little weathering and there you are, about five hours work all told spread over a few days.

I think the slope-back tender looks much better than the original long tender, the body of which will end up behind a Spectrum 2-8-0, a simple converstion that I've done once before.  This will give me two 2-8-0 with "clear vision" tenders with yet another awaiting conversion.  The clear-vision tender is ideal for way freight service.

Your honest constructive comments are welcome and don't be afraid to be cruel.

Original Tender: -

Three views with the "new" tender: -

r0bert

Atlantic Central

WoundedBear

RAM

Iy looks great.   who made the slope-backed tender body?

rogertra

Quote from: RAM on October 11, 2007, 01:56:37 PM
Iy looks great.   who made the slope-backed tender body?

Thanks.

"Mantua", just found that cast into the bottom of the chassis.  It was a plastic body on a cast metal chassis with a large weight cast into the chassis.

It came with a partially built MDC 2-8-0 that I picked up at a train show.  I'm using the 2-8-0 as a non-powered, rolling chassis "withdrawn" locomotive that will sit on the Granville Junction scrap line with the rods taken off and strapped to the running boards.  Every once in a while, it will be set out from the scrap line and towed away to Montreal, by the way freight, for scrapping.

ebtnut

FWIW, Roundhouse/MDC made a similar slope-back tender.  They often show up at meets as well.

SteamGene

Nice job, Roger. Now how did you ADD one scale foot you'd cut off?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on October 13, 2007, 09:50:15 AM
Nice job, Roger. Now how did you ADD one scale foot you'd cut off?
Gene

As it was the chassis, I added splice plates over the gap, from above and waited for them to dry. 

I filed down the existing "U" channel on the P2K chassis and overlaid a Plastruct "U" channel to get a nice finish.

I then filled in the one scale foot gap by cutting a one foot section from the remains of the P2K chassis and filed that to be a force fit.  The whole joint was then flooded with "Ambroid ProWeld" and left to set up overnight until the following evening.  Just to be sure, I added a few more layers of splice plates over the top of the first ones,  these also served to support the P2K circuit board.

Four one ounce lead weights were placed into the tender body, secured with CA.  Two either side of the orginal screw hole at the front of the tender and two close together under the sloping tank towards the rear of the tender.

Two small holes were drilled up through the bottom of the tender and soft wire hooks were made to attach the two inboard truck chains who's holes were removed in the surgury, to the bottom of the chassis.  These were secured with a pin point application of CA.

Some 1/4"x 1/4"x1/4" Plastruct was glued into each corner of the tender body and drilled to accept the P2K tender retaining screws and the body was screwed to the chassis.

Quite simple really but easier if you don't mis-measure and mis-cut.  :-)

lanny

Hi Roger,

I've been 'away' from the forum for awhile and am catching up on messages. Just wanted to say "well done" on your 0-6-0. Your work is very nice. Keep it up!

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Lnny,
I missed you.  I was in Iowa Tuesday night, though a bit to the north of you.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtnut

Let me begin by saying that Roger's work is very good, and I commend him.  This is a more general question that his model brings up--did any road that had USRA 0-6-0's ever equip them with slope-back tenders.  They were delivered with rectangular tenders, most of which I think were the standard USRA short tender.  Over the years, many of them had their tenders either cut down, modified, or maybe even replaced.  I don't recall seeing one of these with a slope-back, so this is just an "I am curious" question.

rogertra

Quote from: ebtnut on October 19, 2007, 03:36:02 PM
This is a more general question that his model brings up--did any road that had USRA 0-6-0's ever equip them with slope-back tenders.  They were delivered with rectangular tenders, most of which I think were the standard USRA short tender.  Over the years, many of them had their tenders either cut down, modified, or maybe even replaced.  I don't recall seeing one of these with a slope-back, so this is just an "I am curious" question.

A quick Google for "USRA 0-6-0" turned up this one" -

http://www.trains.com/ctr/objects/images/0-6-0_1.jpg

adari

Very nice :). Im not very good at kitbashing. Can you tell us what  you used to kit bash that.
thanks
P.S. Are you also the one that demolished the turn table.

rogertra

Quote from: adari on October 19, 2007, 05:11:08 PM
Very nice :). Im not very good at kitbashing. Can you tell us what  you used to kit bash that.
thanks
P.S. Are you also the one that demolished the turn table.

The first requirement for a kitbash, after first deciding what you want to do, is to pluck up the courage and get on with it.  Of course, like everything, it becomes easier with practice but even then, as I did, you still make mistakes.

A brief description of the kitbash is at the beginning of the thread.  What more do you need to know?

Yes, I'm the one who is "kitbashing", if you will, and am now rebuilding the roundhouse and associated trackage to accomodate the new turntable.  Never be afraid to change anything.