Do I need new contacts for my HO Scale USRA 0-6-0?

Started by I_Iz_AmazingSpiderMan, August 25, 2014, 05:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I_Iz_AmazingSpiderMan

??? Ok I have a problem,
           My cousin took my Bachmann HO Scale USRA 0-6-0 with a Vandy Tender, and put it on My Lionel Trains Tubular track while power was already fed into it. The Bachmann Locomotive's wheels rolled slightly then sparked. I immediately removed the Loco and cut off all power to the track. The train rested for 3-5 months then yestarday I properly put the Loco on HO scale track and it would not run.
           Do I need new contacts for the Loco? Is there something wrong with the engine? Someone, anyone please help me out!

Thanks,
                                                    Manny

richg

Get your ohm meter out and press the probes on the drivers on each side. You should see maybe around a hundred ohms maybe a little less. You are checking for continuity.
There might be an open circuit for some reason.
The motor contacts are connected to the frame halves as well as the headlight.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_155&products_id=4443

Does the headlight come on with power? If it does, the motor is probably burn out, especially if it is the old pancake motor that has a while plastic frame for the motor.

Rich

richg

Below is what Bachmann sells now. It has a contact assembly for all six drivers.
I seriously doubt all six contacts would be burnout.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/50701.pdf

Rich

richg

jonathan

'Tis true.  I have a small fleet of 0-6-0s.  Admittedly, I have never tried to run one on two rails of 3-rail track.  Letting it rest for months would do no good.  The loco will not "heal" itself.

Since your switcher has the vandy tender, it could be one of the more modern locos.  How old is the loco?  Does it have a decoder (DCC)? That definitely would have fried on the larger juice.  Was there an acrid smell when the loco quit on the 3-rail track?

Can't tell without looking at the loco in person, but I suspect your most economical solution would be to send the loco the Bachmann service with the $25 fee and return post.  If they can't fix it, you'll get a new 0-6-0.  Check the service department info on line, to confirm fees policy. 

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

i think the issue here is that you tried to run a dc locomotive on ac power. that is a no-no. something inside is probably fried, possibly the motor. new contacts would not help this.

the best way to determine if the motor still works would be to take the locomotive apart to get to the wires that connect to the motor. using test leads on each wire, connect the motor directly to the track. if it doesn't run, there is no need to look at anything else.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: jward on August 25, 2014, 08:34:43 PM
i think the issue here is that you tried to run a dc locomotive on ac power. that is a no-no. something inside is probably fried, possibly the motor. new contacts would not help this.

the best way to determine if the motor still works would be to take the locomotive apart to get to the wires that connect to the motor. using test leads on each wire, connect the motor directly to the track. if it doesn't run, there is no need to look at anything else.

Wow, my bad. I missed the Lionel part.
Most probably smoked motor.

I have to assume he put the loco on the center and one side rail. Not good. Many Lionel AC transformers have quite a lot of current capability. I use to have a Lionel set many years ago.

Eich

Irbricksceo

Yeah, that would indeed smoke the thing. Lionel Transformers, especially from when they used Magna traction, are very powerful. My grandfather, who worked as a repairman for Lionel in their NJ Headquarters, used to have to repair Christmas Layouts in Department store windows. He says that the standard Magnatration Layout has a huge hidden hill, and that the power draw burnt out the E-Units (reverser units Lionel uses) He had to do these repairs so often he just bypassed them with spare wire since the stores wouldn't use them anyway.
Modeling NYC in N

ACY

Quote from: I_Iz_AmazingSpiderMan on August 25, 2014, 05:26:30 PM
Do I need new contacts for the Loco? Is there something wrong with the engine? Someone, anyone please help me out!
Unfortunately running the locomotive in this manner has voided the warranty leaving you no recourse. The only thing you can do is buy another locomotive and use more care in the future to run it in an appropriate manner.

Irbricksceo

You could repair it yourself if you can track down a new motor, maybe look for junkers listed online as for parts or something? I don't know if you can get it repaired by bachmann after this damage, you;d have to ask them.
Modeling NYC in N

I_Iz_AmazingSpiderMan

I have the newer version with the Vandy Tender and its 10 months old. I am considering buying a new motor. Oh and the headlights will not come on when power is fed onto the track. Jonathan there was this fried metal smell and i will consider sending in the loco in to Bachmann to see if they can fix it

Thanks again
                                      Manny

ACY

Quote from: I_Iz_AmazingSpiderMan on August 27, 2014, 02:23:33 PM
and i will consider sending in the loco in to Bachmann to see if they can fix it
Your locomotive is not going to be eligible for warranty servicing. You voided the warranty by your negligence. If you read the terms of the warranty, if you operate the locomotive in a negligent manner, it is no longer covered for repair or replacement.

richg

Quote from: I_Iz_AmazingSpiderMan on August 27, 2014, 02:23:33 PM
I have the newer version with the Vandy Tender and its 10 months old. I am considering buying a new motor. Oh and the headlights will not come on when power is fed onto the track. Jonathan there was this fried metal smell and i will consider sending in the loco in to Bachmann to see if they can fix it

Thanks again
                                      Manny

Below is the contact assembly. I would doubt all the contacts are burnt up. Now the motor, it might be fried and the bulbs might be burnt out. Only a visual and ohm meter check could verify this. No idea what the AC voltage potential was.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_155&products_id=4443

Rich