Any address other than 3 results in no head and rear lights

Started by faraway, August 20, 2014, 04:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faraway

I have got my first Bachmann Value Sound engine today (GP7 B&M). It is a great running engine but it has one very unusual DCC problem.
The front and rear lights (CV 33,34) are simply not functioning at all if the address is not 3 (CV 1).

I can not imagine any logical relation between the F0 output controls and the decoder address.

Further testing shows even more strange results. Changing CV1 changes some other CVs too. e.g. the low bit in CV 29. May be my Intellibox II is not fully compatible to Tsunami programming specs?
Reinhard

3rail

Faraway,

Sorry about losing your post, but we had a problem during our upgrade and we had to restore back to yesterday's data.

Here is your exact post from this morning:

My very first Value Sound GP7 arrived an hour ago.
It runs great and I am changing some CVs (not so fast and not so loud). All that works fine but front and rear light stop functioning if I change the address (CV1) from 3 to 5.
I have never seen any dependency between address (CV1) and standard lights (CV33/34) on any other decoders.
Could you please enlighten me. I assume I missed some fundamentals with Tsunami Value Sound decoders I am not used to with other brands.

bapguy

When changing the address, did the loco jerk a little? If not the command to the decoder did not take. What DCC system do you use? Tsunamis can be tricky to change the address on. Try a test: does the loco move on the new address?  If no it didn't take. You have to have the loco address on the throttle to work the functions for that loco.  Joe

faraway

Thanks a lot for restoring the original posting.

Further testing shows side effects when changing CV1.
CV1 = 1 clears the low order bit of CV29 (reverse direction).

That might be a problem between the decoder and my DCC controller (Intellibox II)
or
Tsunami has some special CV1 rules unknown to me. I could not find information in that area in the tech. reference and users guide.

btw. CV 49 and 50 are preset with values of 142 and 141. I would have expected 130 or 131 (LED + Rule17 (+ on/off)).
Reinhard

faraway

Quote from: bapguy on August 20, 2014, 05:01:47 PM
When changing the address, did the loco jerk a little? If not the command to the decoder did not take. What DCC system do you use? Tsunamis can be tricky to change the address on. Try a test: does the loco move on the new address?  If no it didn't take. You have to have the loco address on the throttle to work the functions for that loco.  Joe
The loco jerk fine. Just as I am used to it. In some cases only one little step sometimes 4 or 5 steps over 2". That looks as usual to me. It did also take the new address in each case. Just some other CVs might have been effected too.
CV1 = 5 changes "something" I could not find but the lights are off. CV1 = 1 resets the low order bit of CV 29. That is easy to find :-)
I assume the Uhlenbrock Intellibox II (a German product) is not designed to work with Tsunami decoders. It is pure luck I can read and write most CVs without problems.
Reinhard

bapguy

Try a decoder reset: a value of 8 in CV8. You need to recycle the power to the loco after you program it: either turn the power off to the track or lift the loco to one side so all 4 wheels are off the track. Wait 10 seconds or so and put the loco back on the track. If the reset took, the head lights should blink several times. CV29 can be changed by itself. Go to Tony's Train Exchange web site and in the middle towards the bottom is a list for CV29.  Hope this helps.  Joe

faraway

Quote from: bapguy on August 21, 2014, 09:42:20 AM
Try a decoder reset: a value of 8 in CV8. You need to recycle the power to the loco after you program it: either turn the power off to the track or lift the loco to one side so all 4 wheels are off the track. Wait 10 seconds or so and put the loco back on the track. If the reset took, the head lights should blink several times. CV29 can be changed by itself. Go to Tony's Train Exchange web site and in the middle towards the bottom is a list for CV29.  Hope this helps.  Joe
Thanks a lot. The engines are running fine now. It is a hardware incompatibility between the Intellibox II and the Tsumani decoders that result in some unpredictable side effects. I learned to change CV1 best not on the programming track but on the main track.
Reinhard