News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

General questions about 4-6-0

Started by Proud2bnokie, October 11, 2007, 07:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proud2bnokie

Hello.  First time poster.  I've been a serious model railroader since 1975, modeling modern engines and rolling stock.  However, I just purchased only the second steam engine I've ever owned (the other in N).  My newest is the Bachmann Large Scale Anniv. Edition 2-6-0.  All I can say is "WOW".  I never expected such an awesome masterpiece.  It is probably the most impressive model I own.

Two quick questions.  Sorry if they've been addressed before.

1.  Is there supposed to be an instruction manual?  Not that I need it, but Bachmann went through all the trouble to supply a nice VHS tape and explosion views, but no manual.

2.  How many drops of smoke oil is sufficient down the stack?  What is "too much"?  Also, is it OK to leave fluid in the smoke box when stored?

I have several G scale diesels, but I never used the smoke feature.  But I want to use this feature for the kiddies on my 4-6-0.

Bachmann... you did a splendid job.

kevin2083

1. I don't remember mine coming with a manual.

2. I don't use the smoke

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Curmudgeon

Quote from: Proud2bnokie on October 11, 2007, 07:18:44 AM
Hello.  First time poster.  I've been a serious model railroader since 1975, modeling modern engines and rolling stock.  However, I just purchased only the second steam engine I've ever owned (the other in N).  My newest is the Bachmann Large Scale Anniv. Edition 2-6-0.  All I can say is "WOW".  I never expected such an awesome masterpiece.  It is probably the most impressive model I own.

Two quick questions.  Sorry if they've been addressed before.

1.  Is there supposed to be an instruction manual?  Not that I need it, but Bachmann went through all the trouble to supply a nice VHS tape and explosion views, but no manual.

2.  How many drops of smoke oil is sufficient down the stack?  What is "too much"?  Also, is it OK to leave fluid in the smoke box when stored?

I have several G scale diesels, but I never used the smoke feature.  But I want to use this feature for the kiddies on my 4-6-0.

Bachmann... you did a splendid job.

Hopefully the title of "4-6-0" is what you meant. You say "2-6-0" in the body.

No books.
One of the guys on MLS wrote one.
There should have been a paper tag behind the number board to indicate number of drops.
I'll have to see if I have one.
I either remove mine or cut the wires.

Don't depend on them to give you copious clouds of thick, black, ozone-depleting smoke.

Proud2bnokie

Thanks for your replies, guys.

Curmudgeon, actually it was a 2-6-0 when I recieved it, but after digging around in the box, I found a split-axle+wheel, then another wheel, so I made it into a 4-6-0. :)

Loco Bill Canelos

HI,

I have never seen an instruction manual for this loco.  I feel you could safely start with Ten drops and see how long it lasts, slowly increase the drops, if it runs out quickly. 

Using the smoke unit often leaves a mess, because of the oil residue falling on the loco boiler.  Be sure to turn the smoke unit on with the switch behind the boiler front.  If using the smoke fluid be sure to run the loco til ther is no more smoke before putting it away.  Some put a piece of cotton in the stack top, especially if storing the loco on its side.  Have fun with the kids and just take a little time to clean it up before you put it away, and be sure to turn the unit off when it runs out of fluid to avoid burning out the unit.  Burning out the unit is very common.

Enjoy your new Locomotive!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!