Bachmann DCC Command Center with Atlas Gold GP40-2

Started by hamilton77, August 26, 2014, 12:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamilton77

Hello all,

I have the Bachmann EZ Command DCC center and some GP40-2 Atlas Gold engines.  The manual for the engine lists the sounds and all of the ones from F1-F9 work as they should.  However, a couple of them say to double press the button for a certain sound, in this case startup and shutdown sounds.  However, the double press button never works.  Is this a flaw with my command center or does it not support double press?

Also, if anyone out there has an Atlas Gold engine, I'm curious if it could be programmed?  There are a couple of sounds in the top F buttons that I could do without in lieu of other ones.  I do have an Atlas Quantum Engineer but wasn't clear about how to change values. 

Sorry for the newb stuff and thanks for any help.

richg

Quote from: hamilton77 on August 26, 2014, 12:43:50 PM
Hello all,

I have the Bachmann EZ Command DCC center and some GP40-2 Atlas Gold engines.  The manual for the engine lists the sounds and all of the ones from F1-F9 work as they should.  However, a couple of them say to double press the button for a certain sound, in this case startup and shutdown sounds.  However, the double press button never works.  Is this a flaw with my command center or does it not support double press?

Also, if anyone out there has an Atlas Gold engine, I'm curious if it could be programmed?  There are a couple of sounds in the top F buttons that I could do without in lieu of other ones.  I do have an Atlas Quantum Engineer but wasn't clear about how to change values.  

Sorry for the newb stuff and thanks for any help.

Please understand the the EZ Command is first generation DCC controller by Bachmann. Old school. I believe it was introduced back around 2006 or so. You just have to know it's limitations.
The Bachmann Dynamis is a better system.
The EZ command cannot program anything but the loco number to my understanding.
Some here use this system and can have better comments about some of these issues.

Rich

hamilton77

Thanks for the response Rich.  I actually love the DCC Command Center for it's ease of use.  We also use all EZ Track so everything plays well together.  I guess at this point, what I'm looking to find out is if it's possible to change which sounds play on which buttons.  I realize the command center can't do the programming.  I read about people changing CV's so maybe it's possible? 

For example, F6 currently plays the Doppler effect.  I would like to switch that and instead have F6 play the startup sound.  If that is indeed possible, do you know what I need to get to do the programming? 

Thanks again! 

Irbricksceo

You need to find somebody with a DCC controller capable of changing CV's, maybe a LHS or club? Tsunami Decoders can have their functions swapped but the basic EZ command cannot do that.
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

Ham-

Someone with a full-feature DCC system can help you program the CVs on your
decoder. However, be aware that the EZCommand can only access ten effects. It
will, however, give you full control over speed and direction.
                                                                                            -- D

Irbricksceo

One other thing to note, the EZ command has a relatively low Amperage, If you do not get the booster, you will have a hard time running multiple Locomotives, You could probably get away with 2 Sound Locomotives but I dunno. To run others, you should mute Locomotives when they aren't in use.
Modeling NYC in N

hamilton77

Thanks for all of your responses!  I am able to run both Atlas Gold engines with sound flawlessly on the layout.  Appreciate the heads up on the amperage because I may acquire one or 2 more engines. 

Will try to find someone who can switch values for the engines, my LHS isn't into that so I may have to send them away.  I'd rather not purchase a new dcc system if possible because I love using the command center.  In fact, my 5 year old son can operate it, even knows how to switch between engines, that's how nice it is.

Thanks again!

bapguy

Look at a Digitrax PR3 and 18V power supply or a Sprog. Both are stand alone programmers that use Decoder Pro which is a free software. Basically, the PR3 or sprog is hooked up to a programming track and a computer. Decoder Pro is used to change CV's and you can keep the info in a file so if you do a reset on the decoder, you can put the CV values back in using the file.  Joe

Hunt

As you now know, the Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center by design is limited to simplify use and can take advantage of but a few of the DCC capabilities of a QSI Quantum decoder. A QSI Quantum decoder and the Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center is a  poor combination.

Determine the QSI Quantum sound decoder installed in the Atlas Gold GP40-2 from documentation you have or by contacting Atlas.

Suggest you leave all Function Key assignment as is.
     However, with a DCC system or standalone DCC programmer capable of programming all CVs, the effect of a function key, within limits, can be changed by using CV 53.PI.SI Output Feature Assignment.

Click Here for the NMRA DCC Reference Manual For QSI Quantum 3, 2, and 1 Equipped Locomotives
Read
   5    CV's 49-64: QSI Unique CV's, starting on page 93
   5.6 CV 53.PI.SI Output Feature Assignment, starting on page 116

May help if you read this first
Click Here for  Using and understanding "Indexed CVs"