News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Digital Commander troubleshooting

Started by Elnovato, September 01, 2014, 11:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elnovato

I just got an HO Digital Commander set with a GP40 engine and an FT-A engine. The FT-A stopped running after only 2 days of use (some 8 hours of total use; not continuous of course). It responds to light on/off command, but does not move at all. Any suggestions?

Doneldon

Elno-

Try resetting the decoder.

-- D

Elnovato

I have a DC Command controller. How do I do that? Thanks a lot!

Jerrys HO

Take all loco's off track, put EZ Command in programming mode, set loco that needs resetting back on track and press address button you wish to assign it to, press stop button and your done. Questions on how to put in programming mode are in the manual. The way I just suggested is in there under reprogramming decoders with previous assigned addresses.

I have done this on several loco's. Hope it works for you if not you may have to remove the shell and check the pickup wires to make sure they did not come loose.

Jerry

Elnovato

Will give it a shot, thanks a lot Jerry!

Jerrys HO

Elnovato

I followed the instructions for the reset of the EZ command controller and it does work (meaning it resets the locomotive. Unfortunately it did not fix my problem as the locomotive only moved a few inches before it stopped again. I will send it to PA tomorrow for repair or replacement, as it is only 2 days of use old. BTW, as Jerry pointed out, the reprogramming instructions are in the user's manual in full detail.

Irbricksceo

just want to chime in here, that is not resetting the decoder, it is changing the adress. Resetting the decoder involves changing CV's. IIRC, Bachmann Decoders are reset with CV 30 changed to 8 but I'd have to double check. In any event, they are two different things.

Modeling NYC in N

ALCO0001

Hay,
The correct rest is cv8 to 8 on service track programing .Programing on the main you have to do the same but turn yor track power off and then back on the lights should flash on the loco I believe 16 times showing that the reset took! Hope this helps 8).
Jack

Jerrys HO

Elno,
Irb is correct about my way only changes addresses but I have noted it set back some cv changes that a friend had in his loco,how IDK. He uses NCE and had his loco set to a 4 digit address and we changed address and it reset his whole loco.?.? ???

If your engine moved, that is telling me I think that there is power from the rails to the decoder to the trucks. Make sure it is not assigned to another address before sending it in. Try all 9 addresses. Maybe you already have.

Jack, he has no way of doing this. he only has the EZ Command, so he's limited.

Jerry

Irbricksceo

Jerry, Thats interesting. If I still had my EZ command, I'd do some experimenting. I'm curious, how did you change it in the first place? You need to select the loco to change its adress on ez command and it cant select 4 digit numbers. Learning lots today!

The movement, as jerry said, implies power to the trucks. I'm stumped there. If you have a spare decoder, I'd suggest swapping them to see if its a bad decoder or bad loco,  but I have no idea.
Modeling NYC in N

Jerrys HO

Irbrick,

I learned that from a forum member awhile back when I purchased a loco that was being sold as NIB only to find out the address was changed when I contacted him. Still a good loco and never had problems with it.
I have helped others reset their loco's this way. I am still wondering why it changed cv's on a friend of mine's loco. If I had a way to change cv's I would experiment and post findings. Maybe someday I will be able to.

Elnovato

Jerry, I tried several addresses (but not all). I had it on 6 and changed back to 3, then 2 and then 8; all same problem. When I first set in, i assigned address 6 to it and was working fine. I knew there was power on the tracks as i was running my other loco ( which is working just fine). I sent it to PA yesteday. Doe the service fellows tell you what was wrong? If so, will let everyone know. Since This is my first set and it is too new, I decided not to mess with it, but all your suggestions are noted and appreciated!