Large scale 3 truck shay rear Female universal drive shaft

Started by fockewulf37, August 28, 2014, 08:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fockewulf37

Hey Guys,
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem or not. But I have a modular railroad and I take my 3 truck shay in and out of the box a lot. Well the  rear  Female universal drive shaft when disconnected tend to fall lower than the wheels on the truck. The last time i put it in the box It must have hit first breaking the one of the ears off of the shaft.
I have checked and there is no replacement part. So I took the metal drive shaft out and molded the end of it. I then cast one in resin. I took the one that was broken and cut off the end that was broken. I Then  drilled out the end of the female shaft with a 5/32 drill. I put the new cast piece in and it was a snug fit. I then use about a drop of thin CA. I painted it black. I re-installed the  rear  Female universal drive shaft into the Shay. I ran the shay for 5 hours at the last show and it runs great.
If anyone else needs the one contact me. I can make more...

Well i have pictures but it won't allow me to upload them

Ty
Tysplanes.com

tac

I can see a time when parts like this one, no longer available from Bachmann, are going to be 3D printed instead.  Here in UK we already have one company who prints narrow gauge slate cars in FIVE scales - from 009 right up to 7/8ths.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!